Accumulating tethering data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by evilrt, Sep 29, 2012.

1. evilrt macrumors regular

evilrt

i was checking my usage last night and noticed that i was accumulating tethering data at almost 1G receiving and i forgot how many MB sent. i do not tether my i5. i quickly tuned off my cell and restarted and that particular usage stat is now gone. does anyone know what was up with that?? :confused:

2. evilrt thread starter macrumors regular

evilrt

happening again...

Attached Files:

3. JGW310 macrumors member

4. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

This sometimes happens to me and I would always think it's because I used to tether my iPhone via jailbreak and even after not having it jailbroken I'd try to tether and it would sometimes send small bits of data. As long as you don't actually try to tether you shouldn't have a problem with Verizon. Do you have unlimited data?

5. evilrt thread starter macrumors regular

evilrt

i know, JG. i read your post. i noticed when its happening i can see my battery dropping a percent a minute. yes, i have UD.

----------

this is sone serious bs. my battery is going south fast because its happening again after restart!

6. JGW310 macrumors member

Yeah my battery seems to be dipping as well due to this issue..... I guess it's a trip to the Apple Store tomorrow :(

7. bryanescuela Suspended

Same problem here

9.1 MB Sent / 36.6 MB Received. Never turned Tether ON

8. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Tethered data showed up for a few days, disappeared for a day or two, only to make a reappearance this morning. Ive never tethered. I called Apple about it last week. All that they could tell me was that it was a know issue and that engineers were looking into it.

Forgot to mention Verizon not showing any tethered data usage.

9. evilrt thread starter macrumors regular

evilrt

thats key. good thing it stays within the phone. what a mess that would create. it happened whenever i turned on wifi. twice in my place and once at my in-laws. i'm now wondering if that was the fix that was pushed by apple last night.

10. thezinger, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

thezinger macrumors newbie

Do any of you guys have the Verizon network extender? My girlfriend has the network extender and any data I use while on the network extender shows up as tethered data.

Even if your neighbor has one, it will probably show up. When I am outsider her apartment in the parking lot a good 100+ yards away it still tethers data.

11. reputationZed macrumors 65816

No, no extender here. I'm only getting a bar or two of reception in my house so I doubt the neighbors have one. We do have an AT&T booster at work, not sure about Verizon I'll have to ask.

12. thezinger macrumors newbie

Even if you are only getting a bar or two, that could mean one of your neighbors has one. When I'm out in the parking lot I only get 2 bars of service, but I can tell I am still connected to the extender because tethering data is accumulating in cellular usage.

The extenders let you lock the phones that are allowed to use it, but most people are lazy and just plug them in and anyone can connect.

13. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Earlier today I was showing about 20 or so KB of tethered usage, this was prior to running the update. I ran the update earlier this evening. Just checked my usage and tethered is know showing 0KB / 0KB, so yes the update may have been a fix for how tethered data was being reported.

----------

A bit OT but I've been thinking about getting the extender to improve my cell reception in my house. Has your gf been happy with hers or is it more promise than delivery?

14. thezinger, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

thezinger macrumors newbie

Sorry to keep chiming in, but the same thing happened to me. Even when using WiFi I noticed it was using tethering data, which is obviously related to the cellular over WiFi bug. Fixed now.

reputationZed: The extender works absolutely perfectly. Before the extender the apartment got no service at all. You couldn't even make a phone call. The whole apartment complex and about a 1 mile area is a total dead zone. After the extender you get 5 bars anywhere within about a 50 yard radius with a signal strength of about -55 to 60 dbm. And like I mentioned earlier, it's quite powerful as I still pick up 2 bars out in the parking lot down a big hill about 100 yards away. The box said 50ft radius, but it seems much more powerful than advertised.