Acer Aspire M3100 - Phenom X4 9500 Failing to boot.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by darmr, Feb 3, 2015.

1. darmr macrumors member

darmr

A couple of days back I saw the first clue that something was wrong, I booted up the quad core PC and was greeted by the Acer splash screen. The Bios had reset (CMOS). Initially I figured the CMOS battery was failing, not a big deal even though I do recall replacing the battery a couple of years back. I made a note and continued the boot up process and all seemed ok.

It's an old PC and the best link to a similar machine is at the end of this post. I have customised the machine a bit, 8 GiB ram, nvidia GeForce 9500 graphics card, M-Audio keystation 61es midi keyboard (USB) and two sound cards, RME HDSP 9632 for studio work, and soundblaster for general desktop usage. it's triple booting win7, Debian stable and Ubuntu. It's been working great for many years even though I rarely use it nowadays.

However today pressing the quad core pc power on button gives the sound of the fan, no bios beeps, no keyboard lights flash, and nothing showing on the monitor.

I'm thinking Power unit, maybe even mother board failure. A small part of me is hoping if I replace the CMOS battery a small miracle will happen and all will be fine. Can anyone suggest any troubleshooting methods to save me stripping it all down, it's placed right at the back of the room, in the middle of the classic spaghetti junction of cables. It's been reliable and I really would like to fix it without spending a lot of money if possible.

http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_M3100_-_Phenom_X4_9500_2.2_GHz_-_Box_Opened_A1-92.U5M7A.UWP/version.asp

2. darmr thread starter macrumors member

darmr

I replaced the CMOS battery and the computer booted up :cool: