Acer Predator XB271HU gaming monitor with Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zen, Jul 14, 2016.

1. zen macrumors 68000

zen

Does anyone have any experience using an Acer Predator XB271HU gaming monitor with a Mac?

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/predator-model/UM.HX1EE.005

Its specs are far better than the Thunderbolt display, and it is half the price, but my Mac mini is only a late 2012 model, 16GB RAM, with the Intel HD Graphics 4000.

Obviously I'm not actually going to be doing any gaming with a Mac mini, but I'm thinking of selling off my Thunderbolt Display before used prices drop too far on it.

The Predator is 27", DisplayPort, 2560 x 1440. Seems like the Mac mini could power it? It has a refresh rate of 144 Hz, which is much higher than the Thunderbolt 60 Hz, which concerns me however.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Not a bad looking monitor.

Looks like your Mini's specs should be able to power the monitor via DisplayPort.

3. zen thread starter macrumors 68000

zen

Yeah, it's pretty cool.

The refresh rate confuses me though. I understand the Intel HD Graphics 4000 can only power a 60Hz display. This one is 144Hz. Does that mean the monitor won't work, or will it scale down to 60Hz?

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If the monitor is capable of scaling down (and it likely is), then yes, it will scale down. Monitors are not generally the limiting factor when it comes to refresh rates, it's usually the input source (in this case, the integrated graphics).

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I'm going to take a -guess- that the Mini will give you 2560 x 1440, but that the refresh rate may be limited to 60hz.

That is -only- "a guess".

Actually, it looks to be a decent display.
    If you do end up getting it, please put up a small review of how you like it!

6. zen thread starter macrumors 68000

zen

Will do! My wife has ordered one for her gaming PC. Her desk is against mine, so I'll try the Mac mini out on it. I currently use a Thunderbolt display, so I know I'll at least get 2560 x 1440 at 60Hz.