Acid attacks now so widespread

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Aug 4, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/news/acid-attacks-now-widespread-public-223000419.html
    how many years are the punks who do this get?

2. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Punishment for acid attacks needs to be much, much harsher. IMO, it should be considered, at the least, attempted murder. It's certainly premeditated and the victims invariably have zero chance of a normal life afterwards; no different than being dead.:mad:

Because the victim usually survives, the punishment is weak.:mad::mad::mad: Acid attacks (hail any kind of chemical attacks) is the only case where I subscribe to the eye for an eye punishment. Give 'em a tastes of their own medicine.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I thought this was a thread about Trump supporters throwing batteries at others.

4. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Saw this just yesterday in a TV report, too. Seems to be a thing in England/ parts of GB (while it has been for years in India, Pakistan and Afghanistan).
    "Copious" is important, a doctor said a small bottle of water could actually make it worse, because the skin will swell up, then. They showed two police officiers emptying two 5litre tanks on a persons face.

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Happens in Italy too :(

[​IMG]

6. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Wow. Barbaric stuff. Remind me to carry baking soda with me if I'm ever in the U.K.

Sounds to me like they need to upgrade the punishments for such behavior and treat it as any other type of weapon.

7. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

So vinegar isn't an acid neutralizer as depicted in Fight Club?

8. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Vinegar may work, if anything (assuming it does not happen to react with the substance) but it would only be helpful for chemical burns involving alkaline substances like sodium hydroxide, which is a lot of heavy duty household products like drain cleaner. People looking to disfigure people according these articles seem to use Sulfuric Acid, Nitric Acid, or Hydrochloric Acid or even highly concentrated Acetic Acid (the acid found in vinegar).

The problem with throwing bases on acids is if you don't know what you're doing, you can cause chemical reactions that worsten the damage. Baking soda, sodium bicarbonate is a buffering agent, so will *help* neutralize many acids or bases- which would be good if you didn't have copious amounts of water but in most situations extensive rinsing would be preferable. Generally lab protocol wants you to shower for 15-20min if you spill acid or bases on yourself.

Unfortunately if you're on the street and someone splashed an unknown substance, it's not necessarily easy to determine what it is.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Sounds like some imported behaviour.

I'd say physical castration should be an alright punishment for this. If they don't bleed out they'll definitely stop spreading their ideas.

10. Gutwrench, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017

Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Murder, rape, and mayhem are among the most heinous crimes that come to my mind.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 4, 2017 ---
    Interesting. I thought the proper response was flood with water until arrival at ER. But honestly I don't remember anymore and don't recall treating a chemical burn much less an intentionally inflicted one.