ACLU sues Governor Pence for refusing Syrian refugees.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FieldingMellish, Nov 24, 2015.

1. FieldingMellish Suspended

There’s a refugee resettlement business that’s sprung out of the migrant exodus, so now we learn, again, that for Democrats it is all about the money, the votes, or both. “Feelings” are the means of entry.

ACLU acted on behalf of Exodus Refugee Immigration, an Indianapolis non-profit organization that resettles refugees in Indiana. According to the 13-page complaint, Pence’s decision has caused financial harm to Exodus, which receives federal money to aid refugees resettling in the state.

At the same time, Canada has said it will only accept children, women, and families from Syria, no unaccompanied men. It appears that Canada has got its safety priorities in order.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-refugee-plan-women-children-families-1.3330185

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well Americans sue for anything so...

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm assuming they're focusing on the money because for some reason the mechanics of the American justice system place commerce and property above pretty much everything else. When a regulation is applied nation wide it's almost always using the commerce clause because that's the only thing the Supreme Court historically has remained consistent on, the rights of wealth.

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

In most cases you to establish standing to bring a suit. Meaning you need to show some reason that you are being harmed by the person you are suing. You and I might, for instance, think the way migrant farmers are being treated at a local artichoke farm is disgraceful. But unless we actually work at the farm, or are being directly harmed by the farmer's policies - we have no standing in the case, and we can't sue the farmer.

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Are you sure it's not the SCLU? I'm sure the American Civil Liberties Union exists to protect American's civil liberties.

6. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

Canada not accepting single men is the most blatant sexism I've heard of in a long time!

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

It's absolutely sexism. I'm on the fence about it, but I think in this instance it is ok.

First, I'm sure the fathers and brothers among refugees would easily agree to have their mothers, sisters, and daughters enter Canada rather than enter no country at all.

Second, it makes sense because women are in particular a target of abuse and repression in Syria.

Third, I think it's easier to "Westernize" women than men. After these Syrian women are proper Canadians, then maybe they can ship some of that sweet liberal culture back home to Syria.

9. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I'm sure when the UN negotiated to have women moved out of Srebrenica their fathers were happy too.

It isn't like ISIS kills men after all.

10. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Huh? What does that conflict have to do with this one?

I never said they don't kill men. They are however objectively more horrible towards women.

11. unlinked macrumors 6502a

More horrible than burning people alive?

12. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Let me put it this way. If someone dropped a neutral looking person in the middle of ISIS territory with a set of typical men's Syrian clothing and a set of typical women's Syrian clothing, which set of clothing do you think they should wear to survive the longest?

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Remember, the title of the group is not American's Civil Liberties Union.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I don't think they have a claim since the Governors are not able to turn away refugees

15. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

Do you think it's grandstanding?

16. sim667 macrumors 65816

Try telling that to the 17 year old Yazidi girl who was stoned to death by ISIS for allowing herself to be raped.