ACLU-Would you donate?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CalBoy, Apr 20, 2008.

1. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

So I've long thought about donating to the ACLU but never have for one reason or the other.

Would you be willing to be/are you a "card-carrying member?" If not, why not? What stops you? Hesitations?

Since I don't want to leave out anyone in this discussion, what are the European/Canadian/Australian/New Zealand versions of the ACLU?

2. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I have been a life-time member since 1984. For my wife, she has been a member since 1976. The ACLU has one issue on their agenda; to preserve and protect the Bill of Rights of the US Constitution. Why wouldn't every American support that?

3. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

I'm curious, are there different levels of membership?

Can one be a member "for life" by paying a flat amount one time?

4. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Yes, that is what we did. However, we sometimes donate extra for specific issues (i.e. FISA).

5. djellison macrumors 68020

If there's a UK equiv, I don't know of it. At a global human rights level, there's Amnesty International which I do support. But 'civil' rights in the UK? Can't think of any 'body' that tries to look after those.

Doug

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes- donate for sure. It's sad to me that we even need an ACLU, but these are the times we live in.

7. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well then, I guess it's time for me to donate.

I'll be sure to post a pic of my card when it gets here. :p:)

8. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I admit I would find it extremely difficult to assist in any defense of NAMBLA, but even on WND's ever-slanted report, it sounds as if it is important someone does.

The plaintiff is claiming the organization is responsible for a death. Whatever else the organization might be responsible for, on the given description I'm not convinced they are responsible for that. You can't just throw any tenuous charge you can think of at a group and expect they don't deserve legal representation just because nobody likes them. The courts must not be available for use as a weapon of torch-wielding mobs. They must apply the same standards to everyone who appears on a case-by-case basis.

In taking up NAMBLA's defense in this case, I don't think anyone should infer that the ACLU thinks these are good people, or supports their aims and goals. Somebody has to keep the courts honest in the face of a defendant most people would like to just skip the trial and bury, because scrupulous courts benefit us all. Somebody has to draw the line between "are these good people" and "did they do what they are accused of doing," because the latter is the court's only job.

9. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

Actually, that is the very reason one should contribute.

The ACLU will defend those whom we hate the most, and hence need the best defense. They make sure that a better balance is achieved.

I believe the old MLK line, "injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere," applies here.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That may be, but I don't think an organization like NAMBLA should even exist. So when the ACLU decides to defend them means that I am not going to support them financially. Pretty simple for me.

I prefer to support an organization like this. www.lc.org

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Agreed, but I strong believe that should be allowed to exist.

And its tricky difference. I disagree with what NAMBLA is trying to do, but I do agree they should have all the legal rights any other group does.

12. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

The difference between the ACLU and Liberty Counsel is that LC is dedicated to pushing a very narrow political agenda to support those holding certain popular majority beliefs and to actively harm the interests of anyone who does not share those beliefs. The ACLU is not the left-wing counterpart of LC; it is the mathematical inverse.

The ACLU does not choose cases based on politics, but on principles of civil liberties that should apply equally to us all. Liberty Counsel would never opt to defend a gay rights protestor outside a church, but the ACLU would defend an anti-gay Christian protestor if his rights were being infringed. If it looks like the ACLU is biased towards unpopular causes, perhaps that's because for some reason unpopular causes are the targets of more rights abuse.

No reason you can't support an organization dedicated to advancing a political agenda if that is what is most important to you. I want there to be an organization that supports the principles of a free nation even when they benefit people I don't personally like, because I consider the principles more important than my own narrow sensibilities.

13. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

The ACLU doesn't support NAMBLA because it agrees with NAMBLA's policies/positions; they defend NAMBLA because if NAMBLA is treated unfairly by the law, then that is an injustice.

The ACLU doesn't care what your message is, they simply want to protect your right to say it.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Bingo- Rush Limbaugh went running to them as well, which is ironic, given how much he likes to bash them.

15. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

It's almost like a sanctuary! :p:D

Now, how much should I donate?

16. aethelbert macrumors 601

I would never donate to them... I have my reasons. One of them being that the ACLU is suing a local school district for charging for gym uniforms in the registration fee...

17. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

Why do I get the feeling that you're leaving something out of this story?

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Me too. Spit it out.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Because it's easier to put on a flag pin, or at least talk about how the other guy isn't wearing one, than to actually believe in what America is supposed to stand for. Especially when they defend people we don't like. Because then we must not like them. More guilt by association. Yeah, I don't get it either.

Either everyone gets rights or no one does. That's the very foundation of this country. Whether you like them or not. They've defended people I don't like too. Some pretty awful no matter how you slice it. Not the point.

Who does, but as long as they aren't doing something illegal, such as acting on what they talk about, sadly it is perfectly legal. Same with the KKK. Same with lots of things. Just because it's awful doesn't give it the right not to exist.

Not saying you have to, but there are probably a lot of things you do support that support pretty awful things. Just how it is. Considering all the good they do overall though, that's pretty specious reasoning.

You're kidding right?

http://atheism.about.com/b/2004/06/03/liberty-counsels-aggressive-tactics.htm
    http://www.rightwingwatch.org/groups/liberty_counsel/
    http://mediamatters.org/items/200412170004

But you won't support the ACLU? :confused:

20. Aranince macrumors 65816

21. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

Perhaps an explanation is in order?

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Why?

Ugh, Cal beat me to it.

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

If I may be so bold as to preempt*. The ACLU supported X's rights. I don't like X (driven by my politico-religious views), therefore I don't like the ACLU.

*not only Ariance but every poster's reasoning against organisations such as the ACLU.

24. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The whole idea is X rights meaning everyone. Our Constitution is suppose to give us Liberty & Freedom something all govts hate even our own. Lets face it Govt is ran by control & power freaks who want to tell everyone how to live and what to do. ACLU is helping to protect everyone's liberty including those who live a different life style. Who are you to tell me how to live my life meaning Mr Govt.