ACORN Office Raided

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Oct 7, 2008.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The Las Vegas offices of ACORN were raided in an investigation into voter fraud.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D93LPR783&show_article=1

More from FoxNews.com

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/07/acorn-vegas-office-raided-voter-fraud-investigation/

2. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yep... no surprise that Republicans would use the "voter fraud" issue to try to suppress Democratic votes -- again. :rolleyes:

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Sounds like you're only posting half of the story. What a surprise.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2008/oct/07/acorn-office-vegas-raided-voter-fraud-probe/?latest

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

6. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

7. jplan2008 macrumors regular

CNN has had terrible coverage of this issue as well (this has also been discussed in another thread).

This persecution of ACORN was related to the firings of the U.S. attorneys. It's nothing new for the GOP to be after ACORN, and as in the past everything has been trumped up.

(see, for example, interview with one of the fired U.S. attorneys, another one who wasn't fired, testified to the same thing in Congress. http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/330/david-iglesias.html

This isn't voter fraud, it's voter registration fraud. (no one will be casting a ballot based on this). A small group out of the 13,000 people ACORN hired to do this work, wanted to get paid without working. They were defrauding ACORN as much as anyone. The instances of actual voter fraud in this country are very few, and unrelated to this kind of voter registration fraud. The instances of voter suppression are many.

8. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Drew Griffin is a DICK. When you see the news like this, and you see them going over "goofy" details, and obvious questions like "Why would someone do this" aren't answered... it does everyone a disservice. Drew Griffin and Lou Dobbs are both tools. Get Andersen Cooper, David Gergen, or Campbell Brown to be this petty and lopsided, and we'll talk. I remember the first time I was listening to a report from Griffin, thinking... hang on... I feel like I'm missing information. I kept assuming he'd cover the unanswered (or even unasked) questions momentarily, but then it ended like a video one-sided opinion page. When I realized the pattern, I chalked it up to CNN trying to air a variety of views, however uneven it appears.

~ CB

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This is not vote fraud, because as others have pointed out, nobody's going to be casting ballots based on these phony registrations.

What this is is

Interestingly, the media are not picking up the other voter registration fraud story.

At first glance, it appears that, like the ACORN registrations, this is nothing that will prevent people from showing up and voting in November. After all, even if your registration has been involuntarily changed to Republican, you can still vote for the Democratic candidate.

Although I do wonder if the disparity between your declared party and what the poll workers have you listed as will be enough to cause some confusion. I don't think this will cause anyone to be turned away or to cast a provisional ballot, but I never overestimate the intelligence of poll workers, nor underestimate the Republicans' ability to place its agents at the polls to specifically challenge voters, as they did with the 2004 election.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Obama requests special prosecutor

A neat little bit of political ju jitsu. The Republicans are asking the FBI to investigate ACORN? Well, Obama is asking Special Prosecutor Nora R. Dannehy, the same person who is looking at the US attorney firings, to investigate whether the Republican party is using the DOJ to further its own ends.

Just as the FBI investigations won't come to anything, this may not either. But it is a way for Obama to turn the issue back on the McCain campaign.

That's one thing I do admire about Obama; he doesn't miss a step.

Now if the "liberal" MSM will just cooperate and give this as much publicity as they've given the ACORN baloney.

11. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

The publicity level will never be the same as long as the "liberal media" is in the pockets of the repukicans.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The "liberal media" is owned by Republicans. That's what I find so funny about that ridiculous term.

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I didn't know Mickey Mouse was a democrat?

[​IMG]

politifact

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

From that same article:
    The article goes on to say that charges McCain made regarding an unethical Obama-ACORN connection were untrue, inconsequential, or unverifiable.

IOW, there's no real story here, it's a last-ditch effort to scare people with ACORN because they refused to be scared with Bill Ayers.

15. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Another article from Slate talking about ACORN, what it's really about, and why the raids were stunt.

More....

17. jplan2008 macrumors regular

I'm glad Obama is on the offensive, too, instead of waiting for election day. These are very serious charges/questions, that do threaten the "fabric of democracy" -- McCain's campaign, the Republican Party and DOJ conspiring to affect the election. And it's not new. From the DOJ report on the firing of US Attorneys, here's an email sent from a New Mexico Republican Party official to Iglesias -- one of the fired US Attorneys -- and others:

http://www.usdoj.gov/oig/special/s0809a/final.pdf

"I believe the [voter] ID issue should be used (now) at all levels –
    federal, state legislative races and Heather [Wilson]’s race . . . .
    You are not going to find a better wedge issue . . . . I’ve got to
    believe the [voter] ID issue would do Heather more good than
    another ad talking about how much federal taxpayer money she
    has put into the (state) education system and social security. . . .
    This is the single best wedge issue, ever in NM. We will not have
    this opportunity again . . . . Today, we expect to file a new Public
    Records lawsuit, by 3 Republican legislators, demanding the
    Bernalillo county clerk locate and produce (before Oct 15) ALL of
    the registrations signed by the ACORN employee . . . .111"

The NY Times points out that if the government did a better job of registering people/taking away barriers, then groups doing big registration drives would be unnecessary. This is something ACORN has always fought for, calling for the Motor Voter law, and same-day registration -- they're only interested in getting unrepresented groups represented -- the case in Illinois that Obama helped with, was related to that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/17/opinion/17fri1.html

"The answer is for government to do a better job of registering people to vote. That way there would be less need to rely on private registration drives, largely being conducted by well-meaning private organizations that use low-paid workers. Federal and state governments should do their own large-scale registration drives staffed by experienced election officials. Even better, Congress and the states should adopt election-day registration, which would make such drives unnecessary.

The real threats to the fabric of democracy are the unreasonable barriers that stand in the way of eligible voters casting ballots."

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I didn't either. But we surely know what party the Duck family belongs too...
    [​IMG]

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

20. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

No, they're former Enron and WorldCom execs. :p

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Holy crap. Within ten minutes of each other I found two issues that Obama can really use to put the screws to McCain. One I mentioned in another thread. And here is the other:

Beautiful. So much for the ACORN line of attack. :)

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

So far these ACORN raids haven't exactly produced much. Especially considering the fact that ACORN themselves were flagging potential invalid registrations committed by their workers, which (as I noted in another thread) they can't throw out or get rid of because that would be voter fraud. Funny how suddenly the GOP cares about voter fraud.

McCain's ACORN/Ayers delusion