Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fluke

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
just checked out acrobat 6 for os x. its great.

but...

is it just me, or is the startup screen just awful? who designed that? i would have expected something better from adobe.

Attachments

• picture-1.gif
    picture-1.gif
    70.1 KB · Views: 675

phgreer

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Greenville, SC
I like it. I've installed it on Win2000 and OSX 10.2.6 and on OSX I think it looks kind of neat how it has those swirley things outside the box! In fact this is one of the best splash screens since the Nertscape 3.0 "Captain's Wheel"

I miss the Captain's Wheel. I wish Netscape would bring it back.

CMillerERAU

macrumors regular
May 12, 2003
Besides the nifty new paint job inside and out, are there any notable new features added over 5.0? They all seem the same after 3.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
No, but fantastically I hear that its now 60MB...to read PDF's!!!

No thanks.

AppleMatt

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by AppleMatt
No, but fantastically I hear that its now 60MB...to read PDF's!!!

No thanks.

AppleMatt

This one's actually smaller than the one that came with my iBook. I didn't copy down the size, but I think it was 70-something megs, now it's 56.8. I know that the bundled one was multi-language though, don't know if this one is or not.

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
I'm waiting on Pro Acrobat to show up at my house. The sheer fact that I can now make forms in Acrobat is worth the price of the upgrade for me. And, for the record, I like that startup screen. The black and white is a nice, restrained touch.

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Acrobat showed up. I'm impressed. This is the Acrobat that I've been waiting for Adobe to build.

But the splash screen for Acrobat Pro is more of that goofy-ass late-80's/early 90's illustration that Adobe just can't let go of. Uugh.

I'd prefer to see the Reader splash screen... Oh well, a minor thing, really.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Originally posted by CMillerERAU
Besides the nifty new paint job inside and out, are there any notable new features added over 5.0? They all seem the same after 3.

Yes, they've crammed an advert pane into this version, so now you don't even have to go online to be brainwashed :)

AppleMatt

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Does anyone know how to get 5.0 back? It came preinstalled on my system but I don't want to reinstall the whole OS to install it again, is it possible to selectively reinstall just Acrobat? It's not terribly important and I don't really feel like downloading 5.0 again, even if it isn't very big :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.