Activate iPhone 5c AT&T over wifi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by benji888, Sep 29, 2013.

1. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

Hey, I jumped the gun, suggested to a friend this is a good time to upgrade to iPhone 5c, they ordered one, and then I realized, they can't put iTunes 11.1 on their older Mac Mini...I think it has iTunes 10.x Mac OS X 10.5.x.

So, can the iPhone 5c be set up, activated and synced solely over wifi?

If not, anyone have issues w/iPhone 5c and older iTunes?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I've been searching and trying to find a definitive answer for an hour, and, not really sure...it looks like it was possible, but, that article is pre-iOS 7. (This can be set up as new, old iPhone is a 3G, so, no need to restore from backup, as they don't have a lot of apps and data on there.)

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Yes.

3. benji888 thread starter macrumors 68000

benji888

If it's a simple yes, then why doesn't Apple say so on its website for Tech Specs? (It's not clear).

Anyone else...Have you set up, Activated, and synced your AT&T iPhone 5c over wifi, not hooking up to your computer at all? Any issues with this?

(I've always hooked my new iPhones up to computer w/iTunes for activation.)

4. darkside flow macrumors 6502

I haven't plugged an iphone in and connected to itunes since the 3G. That includes activating.

You don't ever have to use itunes for anything if you don't want. Activation is done on device.

This applies to all carriers.

5. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

You can do this. I did mine and have for every iPhone

6. benji888 thread starter macrumors 68000

benji888

Ok, thanks for the replies, sorry for the stupid question...moderator can move if this is posted wrong, close even. Question answered.

7. benji888 thread starter macrumors 68000

benji888

OMG, he decided to get a new Mac Mini...I didn't know about this. He's not a heavy user by any means, but, I don't have the heart to tell him they might be coming out with new ones very soon, so I won't. He won't care, he uses Safari and iTunes. That's about it. Well, now I don't have to think of ways to get his pics from his 3G to his 5c now, he can just use his new Mac Mini for that, lol. (Someone suggested using "Bump" app, so, anyone that can't get iTunes 11.1 on your computer and don't have iCloud photo stream, get the Bump app on your older device. Put it on your new iPhone and you can use this to get your pics moved over.)