Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haysbert

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Hey everyone,

Long story short, my wife broke her 5s (Verizon,US) and it won't turn on at all, screen is busted, etc. She has her 4s still and I was wondering if she can somehow transfer back to that phone while we wait for it it be replaced. Anyone know how to do that?

Thanks!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Verizon iPhone 4S' don't use the SIM card to connect to the CDMA network. Putting the 5S' SIM card in it won't do anything. You can transfer it back to the previous number by activating it on Verizon's website.

goknicks

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
just bring the 4S to Verizon and they should activate it. Not sure if the old SIM from your 4S still works. As far as I know once it's de-activated, it's dead....

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Verizon iPhone 4S don't use a SIM card on Verizon's network. The SIM card in them is a rebranded Vodaphone one used for international roaming. They can work just fine on Verizon's network without a SIM card installed in the phone. They'll complain about no SIM card, but work just fine. SIM cards can also be reused in most cases.

Haysbert

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
So my best bet is to just take it into verizon and see what they can do?

goknicks

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
good luck. your next post will be "walked in to activate 4S, but walked out with a new IPhone 6/6 Plus........:)

Haysbert

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Ha right? I have a 6 now, she got the 5s only a couple months ago so she's good for now. I hope they don't hit us with an activation fee.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
So if we go to Verizon they will give us a free SIM and we can just put it in the old phone and it will work?

Get a sim adapter to use the sim from the iPhone 5S in the iphone 4S. Plug the iPhone 4S into iTunes and restore. Go through the steps to activate the phone using the sim you already have. Done.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
Get a sim adapter to use the sim from the iPhone 5S in the iphone 4S. Plug the iPhone 4S into iTunes and restore. Go through the steps to activate the phone using the sim you already have. Done.

It doesn't use sim cards for service unless you are out of the USA

Haysbert

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Update: Took it to the Verizon store yesterday and they were able to activate it no problem and worked all day. Today though, the phone will not accept/ receive calls or texts. Data still works though (shows 3G) and she is able to go online and check email, etc. Tried dialing *228 or any other number but the call just won't go through. Any other options besides going back to the Verizon store?

Haysbert

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
All good now. Had to remove the SIM from her broken phone, reset network settings, and then *228 to activate. Thanks everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.