Activate two-finger scrolling on supported pre-2005 PowerBoo...

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
For those who are terminal-phobic (I know I am) or those whose *books don't support the two-finger scrolling: Raging Menace's SideTrack

This works like a charm, and I can't imagine living without it. It also has more customization options than Apple's two-finger scrolling.

noverflow

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2002
mac15 said:
Will work on mine but I'm kinda worried about trying it out :)
It only enables it till the next restart, so you dont have to worry about it. It it messes anything up, just restart.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
12" iBook G3/800 (32MB VRAM, purchased new May 03) does not have the W Enhanced Trackpad.

According to the SideTrack page (though I am not using SideTrack) the new PowerBooks have USB trackpads rather than ADB. Does anyone know if the new 2005 PowerBooks have USB keyboards as well?

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Works fine here!
I played with the earlier build and sent in some feedback. Great developer.
It acts just like a mouse scroll wheel would.

At this point, the kernel extension can do no damage to your system. It's temporarily loaded on-demand and goes away with a simple restart.
If anything goes wrong, just restart your laptop and you'll be back to normal.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
It works awesome, I might even install it perminantly (maybe not though)

sord

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
Works great! Installed perminantly here.
Brings new life to trackpad gaming, much easier to change weapons instead of hitting a key!

Now just if Apple made some sort of thing on top of their Apple Mice that would be sweet!

EDIT: Done on a 1GHz G4 iBook, bought new in June '04

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Way cool. It's working nicely on my 15" Rev C Powerbook. It is a little jumpy, but it might be because I have both the XY and the rotational ones on ... oh well. Impressive nonetheless.

eddyg

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2003
Christchurch, New Zealand
Don't do it..

Tcnorman said:
I dont really understand how to install or access the terminal. Is it easier to install that I am thinking?
If you don't know what the Terminal is then you don't even want to think about going here..

If you like to learn, Applications->Utilities->Terminal and then get a Unix book handy :)

mc5

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2005
yeah, i looked into it, then decided i was too chicken to mess with xCode, or Terminal (to do anything beyond see how long my "uptime" was, that is).

so i invested 15 bucks in that Sidetrack program. its pretty nice! being mouseless is very nice! :)

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
Want to host a mirror

Can somebody send the files (HTML file, source, binary) to crenz at web42.com? I'd like to host a mirror as the original site seems to be rather overwhelmed...

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Site is down. Too much traffic. Anyone have a mirror of the instructions?

And how to tell which PB's might do this?

Also, does this allow 360° panning like the new PBs do, or just scrolling? 2D panning/scrolling with no modifier keys needed sounds much more useful than other trackpad scrolling systems out there.

In fact, this sounds like a better thing than a second button!

EDIT:
Have yourself a merry little Google cache:
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:7oy-QIsFd_wJ:www-users.kawo2.rwth-aachen.de/~razzfazz/+&hl=en

I think I'll wait for a more polished version to emerge :) Assuming it does the panning thing, at least.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Cross posts! I linked to the cache above.

The MacBytes link works fine for me (although nothing loads) :
Code:
http://www-users.kawo2.rwth-aachen.de/~razzfazz/

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
nagromme said:
I think I'll wait for a more polished version to emerge :) Assuming it does the panning thing, at least.
You read my mind, all a bit complicated for my little brain. Can someone make me a nice little installer please :D :cool:

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
I'm having problems with Firefox recognising some movement as forward/back (and it's pretty random). Using the 7th feb. build, though, and haven't had chance to hack around in XCode yet. Still, it's good to see it's in cpp with none of this objective nonsense!

Shows a lot of promise... also proves that Apple could have done this across the board, if they'd wanted.

johnnowak

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2003
New York, New York
brap said:
I'm having problems with Firefox recognising some movement as forward/back (and it's pretty random). Using the 7th feb. build, though, and haven't had chance to hack around in XCode yet. Still, it's good to see it's in cpp with none of this objective nonsense!

Shows a lot of promise... also proves that Apple could have done this across the board, if they'd wanted.
Obj-C is far less nonsensical than C++.