Activate without opening?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wiz329, Oct 25, 2013.

1. wiz329 macrumors 6502a

I apologize if this has been posted before -- I couldn't find anything this time around, but a couple weeks ago, I remember reading something about this.

I am about to upgrade to an iPhone 5s from my existing 4s (on Sprint). However, I do not use it enough to justify the (opportunity) cost, really, so I want sell it, probably on ebay. However, in order to get the highest price, I would like to keep it completely in the packaging.

Is this possible? Can it be activated by Sprint before shipping somehow, or must I open the packaging in order to activate it before selling?

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

In a nutshell, no. If it's tied to a carrier, t has to be activated, and you have to open the box.

Given the restricted, locked nature of the Sprint 5s, I would say the cost of "flipping" the phone won't gain you any profit. If it was a Verizon 5s, on the other hand, that would be a different story.

3. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

You are getting the 5s using your line upgrade?

When the person receives the iPhone and turns it on the 5s will activate with your phone number disabling your old iPhone.

4. wiz329 thread starter macrumors 6502a

And there's no way around this?

5. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

You're also required to enter the last 4 digits of your social security number and zip code.

Do you feel comfortable giving out that information to a potential buyer? Open the box yourself and activate it. And work out cell number issue with Verizon then put it up for sale.

The other choice is to buy it full price device only from the Apple Store then sell that.

6. wiz329 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sounds wise.

I actually have Sprint. Will there be a problem if I buy it, activate it, switch back to my 4s, then try to sell the new 5s on ebay?

The whole point of this is to sell my "upgrade", so I won't likely be buying a fully price device from Apple just to sell it.

Thanks for your help.