Activating a phone from home

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikelegacy, Sep 18, 2012.

1. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Can you activate a phone from home? I've never done this before. Since the iP5 uses a different SIM, and I currently have Android, am I going to have to be hassled with going to the Verizon Store during all the hustle and bustle to get a SIM?

2. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Your probably going to have to get a sim unless apple includes it. Then it will have to be programmed. If your on an lte phone already this will probably be easier but if your going from 3g to 4g its probably just easier to go to the store.

3. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

It will activate from home. You may have to hookup to iTunes to activate initially but that's it

4. Castle87 macrumors regular

Not to derail this thread but I have a similar question, except I'm going from a 4 (my first ever iphone) to the 5. I plan on starting from scratch, I won't be transferring anything over. Once I unbox the 5, am I good to go? Or do I need to bring it in to AT&T?

5. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I'm keeping the same number and I have a 4G phone right now, so the transfer shouldn't be hard, just something that I'm not sure I can do on my own.

Like the first replier said, if it comes WITH the sim, it shouldn't be an issue.

6. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

At least AT&T phones have always come with SIM cards when ordered. Not sure on Verizon though. I don't see why they wouldn't though

7. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

I asked the sales rep from Verizon about activation, and was told it was straight forward at home. So it should be no issues.

However, I read on the iphone 4S activation, if there was an issue, one just has to hit *228 on the phone and a 1-800 number will pop up. Call that number and Verizon will activate it Free over the phone instantly. Hope this applies for the new phone