Activating iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikeandashley, Feb 7, 2013.

1. mikeandashley macrumors newbie

In December I bought a jailbroken iPhone 4 on Ebay to replace my iPhone 4 that disappeared going through security at the airport here in Germany where I live. While I was back in the US I received the iPhone. While in the US it worked for games and what not, but since I did not have a SIM card it could not make calls or do anything when not receiving a WiFi signal. When I returned to Germany I got a new SIM card from O2, using my previous plan. All worked great for about 3 weeks. Then last Thursday I got a prompt to update the Operating System. I am not tech savy, so unfortunately I agreed and that was the start to my problems. Lesson learned for sure. So I was able to reset my phone and I am now on the activation part. The problem is that I do not have the original SIM card or a SIM card from the US. I am not sure what carrier the phone was with originally as I bought it on Ebay. I have read that using LimeRa1n works, but I did that yesterday and at the end the message said "to enjoy my jailbroken phone", but my phone still says that I need to activate it using the original SIM, if I take my German SIM card out it says Activation Error. Is there anyway that I can activate the phone with out a SIM so that I can then jailbreak the phone so I can use it here in Germany again? :(

2. Baggio macrumors 6502

Sounds like the phone is locked to AT&T if you can't activate it with your German SIM card. When it was jailbroken it might have been on a firmware that can be unlocked with Ultrasn0w through Cydia. Since you updated your phone it removed your jailbreak and that possible unlock option. You should try to get an AT&T IMEI unlock for it.

3. mikeandashley thread starter macrumors newbie

Gotcha. Thank you, but how do I go about getting an AT&T IMEI? And when and where do I enter this number. I have never seen a prompt asking for this.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There's plenty of AT&T iphone IMEI unlocks on ebay and websites online.
    You give them $2-3 and your IMEI number and a day later your iphone is factory unlocked for good.

5. nxshardcore macrumors newbie

What about an iphone 4s using ios 6.1.3 with a vodafone uk lock?
    When i put my telfort NL card in the phone it gets signal and even 3g before i connect to my wifi at home.
    Knowing this it still won't activate because i don't have the valid simcard.

The phone came from ebay. And i guess it also has no warranty anymore.