Activating iPhone on another line! Must read !

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jetlitheone, Sep 19, 2012.

1. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

So I ordered an iPhone with an upgrade on my girlfriends Verizon account, which isn't on the same line but she's on Verizon just like me. Anyways I asked how I would do that and in response some rep said I can't and that it would then bill her account the full price of the iPhone if I it it on my account. What the hell is that all about?!:eek:

2. jetlitheone thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

Activate it on her line, reactivate her old phone, go get a new SIM and activate it on your line.

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

The rep is misinformed

• Purchase the iPhone on her account
    • Receive iPhone
    • Activate on your account.
    • You pay 199 (or more)
    • Her contract extends.

----------

You don't even need to activate the phone on her line....

5. jetlitheone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can I just activate it right on mine?

Where and how much would a sim card be f?

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Yep, just call them up on friday.

7. Sputnek macrumors regular

Here is what you do. I am assuming your gf has the upgrade and you do not. Buy the phone with her upgrade. When you do get the phone you HAVE TO activate it under her line. Then deactivate it and put the old phone back onto her line. Then you can take her phone and activate it under your line. It just has to be activated once under her line. This is what a VW CSR at a store told me to keep my unlimited data plan grandfathered into the i5.

Proceed with your own discretion. :apple:

8. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

I was told it had to be once otherwise she would get charged the full amount for the phone. Maybe I got bad information.

9. Sputnek macrumors regular

Verizon wireless users are CDMA users. We do not have sim cards.

10. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

Yes we do for 4G devices.

11. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

That is not true at all :eek:

12. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I've called Verizon all week and spoke to over 8 diff reps, not one told me I have to activate it on the other persons line.

13. Sputnek macrumors regular

My bad, sorry for the misinformation.

14. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

Who knows, I was told if it was under the same account you could just call and switch it. If they are different accounts you have to activate it once on her account. Like I said I could have gotten wrong information.

15. Sputnek macrumors regular

Well now I'm confused. How should we go about this?

16. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

No this is good. I'm going under the assumption that nobody at Verizon has a freaking clue about what they're talking about. This will just be another question to ask them on Friday when they activate my Phone.

17. trevorlc macrumors member

I though the SIM was just for 4G LTE when it came to Verizon and it still falls back on standard CDMA which wouldn't make use. So wouldn't you need them to switch the CDMA info over as well?

18. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

If it is under the same account I know you can just call before you activate and have them switch the phone to what line you. If it is a different account I am not 100% best to call them and explain the situation they will know what to do.

19. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Call Verizon on Friday and ask a lot of questions.

20. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

I don't know the specifics. All I know is that when I gave my sister my old thunderbolt she had to go get a new SIM so she could activate it. This was a while ago though and I was told they can flash SIMs OTA but I am not sure, just a rumor I heard.

21. Sputnek macrumors regular

Sounds like a plan lol :D

22. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Need to keep the facts clear here.

The new phone is order under one account.

It will be used on another account. NOT on another line. This is different than 2 phones on the same account.

And, by the way, I hope the OP knows he has obligated the girlfriend to a 2 year contract. Even if she dumps the guy, she will not be able to upgrade for 2 years.

23. jetlitheone thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was told just to activate it on her line then mine. Never heard about needing to get a new sim card. I'm guessing you can just flash a sim now. I've also called many reps

----------

She knows. I'm eligible for an upgrade soon and I gave her my iPhone 4s which she is fine with. Lol

24. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Just called Verizon to debunk the rumor.

You DO NOT have to activate the iPhone on the persons account you used to purchase the phone before you activate it on your account. The rep said yes this was the case when the T&C needed to be accepted after activation. Now that the T&C are accepted before activation (I assume with purchase) the phone can simply be activated on your account without any fear of being charged full price.

25. iphone46, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

iphone46 macrumors regular

Yes you do. You have to activate it on the line with the upgrade first to accept the terms of contract/service. If you don't you'll be billed the full price of the phone. Then you could do whatever you wanted with it (activate on other plan/account or sell it).

Edit: The terms are not accepted when your order online(at least for me). I think it's only at store or over phone.