Activating my phone onto a different account than I chose when I preordered (AT&T)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MaxPower49, Sep 18, 2012.

1. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

I am a new AT&T customer (or I will be when my iPhone 5 gets here Friday). I chose to create a new individual account when I ordered my phone.

After I ordered, I was invited to join a mobile share plan with some other family members (they already have an AT&T account, but not a shared plan). This works out better for me, so I would like to do it.

I'm told that after I activate my new individual account, I can't transfer the line to another account for 60 days. So, when I activate my phone Friday will AT&T allow me to activate it to my family member's account instead of the new individual account I chose when I preordered the phone?

I have tried calling AT&T and the CS reps give me different answers every time. Thought I might find some more knowledgeable people here.

Thanks.

2. RSully macrumors member

From what I remember you need to cancel this account within 30 days or else you're locked into the 2 year contract. This may mean you need to order a new device on their plan, or AT&T might be nice enough to allow you to transfer it. I would go into a (corporate) store when you get the phone with the other account holder and see if they can sort it out in person.

3. MaxPower49 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I will go into the store if needed, but trying to keep that a last resort since crowds will probably be crazy this weekend.

If anyone else knows more about how this works, I'd love the input.