Activating Used Verizon iPhone

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Buying a used verizon iPhone 5 off eBay. How will I go about activating it? Do I need to buy my own VZ nano sim?

Last edited:

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Buying a used verizon iPhone off eBay. How will I go about activating it? Do I need to buy my own VZ nano sim?
Only the iPhone 5 would come with a SIM card when using it on Verizon. The iPhone 4S, 4 don't have SIM cards for Verizon because they are 3G only.

To activate an iPhone 4/4S, log into your Verizon Wireless account. Click on My Verizon at the top and then choose "Activate or switch a device."

Follow the screen prompts. It'll ask you for the IMEI, ESN etc.

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
Buying a used verizon iPhone off eBay. How will I go about activating it? Do I need to buy my own VZ nano sim?
If you mean anything up to and including a 4S, no, you'll be able to activate it onto your (presumably) existing account by logging into the my account feature at vzw.com and choosing the 'activate / change device' option under 'manage my account.'

If you mean an iPhone 5, then you will need a SIM. You can go to your nearest VZW store and pick one up for free, or you can order one using the same process for switching a device (the website detects that you need a SIM and gives yout he option to order it when trying to add an LTE phone).

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
If you mean anything up to and including a 4S, no, you'll be able to activate it onto your (presumably) existing account by logging into the my account feature at vzw.com and choosing the 'activate / change device' option under 'manage my account.'
alternatively, you can also dial *228 and follow the voice prompts to activate an iphone 4 or 4s.

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011

If you mean an iPhone 5, then you will need a SIM. You can go to your nearest VZW store and pick one up for free, or you can order one using the same process for switching a device (the website detects that you need a SIM and gives yout he option to order it when trying to add an LTE phone).
Only the iPhone 5 would come with a SIM card when using it on Verizon. The iPhone 4S, 4 don't have SIM cards for Verizon because they are 3G only.

To activate an iPhone 4/4S, log into your Verizon Wireless account. Click on My Verizon at the top and then choose "Activate or switch a device."

Follow the screen prompts. It'll ask you for the IMEI, ESN etc.
alternatively, you can also dial *228 and follow the voice prompts to activate an iphone 4 or 4s.
sorry, should have been more clear. I am looking to buy an iphone 5. Thank you all for your responses