Activating Used Verizon iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DMVillain, Sep 23, 2012.

1. DMVillain, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

DMVillain macrumors 6502a

Buying a used verizon iPhone 5 off eBay. How will I go about activating it? Do I need to buy my own VZ nano sim?

2. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

Only the iPhone 5 would come with a SIM card when using it on Verizon. The iPhone 4S, 4 don't have SIM cards for Verizon because they are 3G only.

To activate an iPhone 4/4S, log into your Verizon Wireless account. Click on My Verizon at the top and then choose "Activate or switch a device."

Follow the screen prompts. It'll ask you for the IMEI, ESN etc.

3. raremage macrumors 6502a

If you mean anything up to and including a 4S, no, you'll be able to activate it onto your (presumably) existing account by logging into the my account feature at vzw.com and choosing the 'activate / change device' option under 'manage my account.'

If you mean an iPhone 5, then you will need a SIM. You can go to your nearest VZW store and pick one up for free, or you can order one using the same process for switching a device (the website detects that you need a SIM and gives yout he option to order it when trying to add an LTE phone).

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

alternatively, you can also dial *228 and follow the voice prompts to activate an iphone 4 or 4s.

5. DMVillain thread starter macrumors 6502a

sorry, should have been more clear. I am looking to buy an iphone 5. Thank you all for your responses