Activating without itunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by madriley, Sep 25, 2012.

1. madriley macrumors newbie

Jun 1, 2008
    This is probably a stupid question, iPhone 5 will be delivered to my office tomorrow. I won't have access to iTunes or wifi there. I'm doing an upgrade swap.

Would it be possible to call AT&T from work, have them swap the sim info to the correct phone, and use the phone until I can get home later that night and sync to iTunes? I know I won't have all of my stuff on the phone, but will it work for phone calls, etc until I have time to sync to iTunes at home? Or will it just have the "connect to iTunes" screen and force me to set up through iTunes before I can use it at all?

Thanks for any help :)

2. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

Jun 17, 2009
    Chicago, IL area
    The iDevices are made now to not require a mac or pc with iTunes to activate. I believe you should be able to activate yours without hitting iTunes first.
  3. protobiont macrumors 6502a

Jul 6, 2010
    Since you are doing an upgrade swap I would make sure you call AT&T before you activate it. There was another thread on here talking about that.
  4. verwon macrumors 68030

Jul 26, 2011
  5. madriley thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 1, 2008
    And no wifi either, correct? Just don't want to screw this up and be stranded at work phone-less. :eek:

I did read the other thread about calling AT&T first to swap the sim/number, so I will call them before turning it on...thanks for mentioning that though!