Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
if I were to purchase a new iPhone, unlocked and all that, will I be charged an activation fee if I just put my old SIM card from my old iPhone into it?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I doubt it. Would they charge you every time you swapped phones with your SIM card? I'm guessing the activation occurs if you get a new SIM card added to your account.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
I doubt it. Would they charge you every time you swapped phones with your SIM card? I'm guessing the activation occurs if you get a new SIM card added to your account.
That's where I'm not sure. I hardly buy new phones. Being in college and broke lol.

I'm thinking of selling my 6s+ and getting the iPhone se. Not a big fan of the size of my phone.

Not sure if my option at Best Buy would hold me back from getting it though.

I would buy the one I have selected:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    602.4 KB · Views: 98

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
It might help if you mention what carrier's service you have on your old SIM :confused:

Dave
Sorry! I thought I did.

I have AT&T service.

Looking at getting an "inactivated device" through Best Buy so wasn't sure

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
activation fee is for a "line" of service, not the device. as long as you're using the same account, there'll not be another activation fee

I believe the activation fee comes in, if you buy a phone from them on the NEXT plan.

I have switched SIM card on my ATT account many times and there is no activation fee.

Generally stay out of the ATT stores as They are there to make money.

Thank you guys for the posts. That's how I thought it was done but never have been quite sure since I only ever get from att. I really appreciate the help

kpeex

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
VBVA
It looks like Best Buy is already charging an extra $51.00 from the Apple Store Price. An activation fee on top of that would be insult to injury.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Anyway, I have swapped AT&T SIMs on two Apple Store SIM Free devices "fee free" using the original micro-SIM from an AT&T iPhone 5.

Reactions: npolly0212

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Enjoy you new phone!
haha thank you, I am still debating if I wanna do it or not. Leaning towards it but also still have the phone 7 coming soon..

It looks like Best Buy is already charging an extra $51.00 from the Apple Store Price. An activation fee on top of that would be insult to injury.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Anyway, I have swapped AT&T SIMs on two Apple Store SIM Free devices "fee free" using the original micro-SIM from an AT&T iPhone 5.
Best buy is always $50 more as long as I have ever looked there.

Reactions: Newtons Apple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.