Activation Quesion

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spartanrob, Sep 23, 2013.

1. spartanrob macrumors 6502

spartanrob

I fell like i should know this, but need to double check.

I upgraded the 2nd line on my account. I will take the 5S and give line 2 my 5. When the 5S arrives, can I simply take the sim from my 5 and put it in?
    Then, when ready, put the new sim in the 5 to 'trigger' the activation? (I don't want to disable the current phone on line 2 until i'm ready, but would like to use the 5S when it arrives)

Hope that makes sense.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

For AT&T, yes, though there may be an additional step of calling an 800 number to accept the new contract before it activates.

Other carriers? No idea.

3. spartanrob thread starter macrumors 6502

spartanrob

Thanks. should have clarified that I am on AT&T. Basically, you are activating the SIM, no the phone?

4. legioxi macrumors 6502a

You need to activate the new phone with the new SIM. Then do the swap. Otherwise it will show "pending upgrade/activation" or something similar on the line on your account.

This is how it has worked for me on our business lines. If I forgot to do the activation before swapping the SIMs, it was a hassle down the road.

5. blhoward2 macrumors 6502

Don't forget to call and swap the IMEI's associated on the number though. I've been kicked off the network for not doing this in the past during an audit.

6. spartanrob thread starter macrumors 6502

spartanrob

Really, even though they will both be iphone 5? one will be a 5 and one a 5S

7. spartanrob thread starter macrumors 6502

spartanrob

Follow up question. Can I pull the sim on the 5s and set it up in iTunes without activating? Then, when I'm reAdy to do the switch, put the sim back in

8. spartanrob thread starter macrumors 6502

spartanrob

9. MegaBit macrumors member

According to AT&T

I'm in a similar situation so I called AT&T to verify the proper way to cross grade the device. I was told to call them and provide the IMEI number on the box so they can associate it with the correct line in your account. That way it will not affect the other lines (like shut them off). I was also told there is no need to swap SIM cards when you call in, unlike doing it in a store when they must activate on the line you purchased the phone on (and then you need to get a new SIM for the original line... a messy situation).

So just call AT&T when you get the box and tell them what you are doing. THey said it should take only a minute or two.

And to be certain, I made that call to AT&T twice on two different days and got the same answer.

10. spartanrob thread starter macrumors 6502

spartanrob

Thanks. very interesting.
    I think my situation may be slightly different as I'm giving my 5 to the second line, so i'm hoping, once I activate the 5S, i can then swap sims. I may call anyway, but not sure that is necessary. (reason being, the current line 2 doesn't have the proper sim (non-iphone) and i'm trying to save a trip to the store)

11. spartanrob thread starter macrumors 6502

spartanrob

For those interested. I activated the 5S, then swapped sim cards. All is good.

Thanks