Active Shooter in Texas High School

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TheHateMachine, May 18, 2018.

1. TheHateMachine, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018

TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Thank goodness your daughter is safe.

This is something I worry about every day as I drive to school. Retirement can't come soon enough.

3. Zenithal macrumors 604

On the bright side, there's no deaths. I can't believe I just said that, but that's the crazy world we live in.

4. TheHateMachine, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018

TheHateMachine thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Sadly I believe there was one death as I saw the helicopter pan over a person under a sheet.

5. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

6. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

7. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

how shocking, another day, another mass shooting in America.

8. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

CNN chyron says AT LEAST 8 killed so it could be more. One is one to many. Ugh.

9. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

These shootings are awful. Politics aside, they need to stop one way or another.

10. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

agreed. americans need to work on this problem instead of losing time with that gun-taking nonsense.

11. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Yep, it’s sad how desensitized I’ve become to these. I’m almost past calling it the “new” normal. It’s just normal now.

And I’m sure this will become another 50-page gun debate, but it will just be people not seeing the forest for the trees.

12. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Edit: Nevermind, don’t want to start a gun debate

13. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Hard to solve when so many focus on the inanimate object rather than the culture that produces humans who want to use said object for mass terror.

14. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Before the never ending gun control talk begins. What about parenting over friendship? Stop Bullying? Warning signs? Dangers of Social media? It continues. What makes any child want to get either a gun, knife, bomb etc to cause harm to ANYONE? This is turning into a copy cat matter. Hate is powerful and killing innocent people is the easy answer to these kids fantasies. This is the new norm and how is America going to stop this? Or at least slow it down?

15. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I quote the wonderful Kianu Reeves line from the movie Parenthood. "You have to have a license to drive a car, but any ******* can be a father."

Maybe it's time to license parents. Focus on birth control. I know our parents are our biggest problem at school. That is mostly because 30 year olds shouldn't already have teenage children.

16. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Fox News reported the weapon of use was a shotgun. Not sure what gauge yet.

17. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Does it matter?

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah.

A clear preference for a 'no-guns' (or 'no-banning-or-controlling-guns') discussion, yes?

Very well then.

Let me hazard a guess or two before we get on to guns (whether they should be controlled, banned, or licensed) or prayers (whether they should be offered).

I will speculate that the killer is male.

I will further speculate that the killer is white.

And I will postulate that he may hold toxic views on women, and on what it is to be male.

And now, we may begin to discuss weaponry. And why school killings happen nowhere else in the first world on anything like the scale, frequency, and what passes for the brand 'new normal' in the United States.

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'm not saying I do or do not agree with you, but I suspect you're going to have a hard time trying to legislate people's reproductive rights. That's been yet another ongoing political debate for decades, at least.

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Perhaps it is a bit of culture, a bit of mental illness, and a bit of lax gun regulation. If so, it is likely we'll need to tackle all three. Three members of my immediate family are teachers in the US, so even though I live in Scotland, I worry about them. Already kids have been arrested at all of their schools for having firearms on them (thankfully just showing off only).

In any case, getting back to the thread this is sad day. I cannot imagine what that community is going through, but I hope they recover to the extent they can as quickly as possible. :(

21. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Yes due to the extent of injury and casualties.

22. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

That's what I want to know every time this happens. Why does it happen here and not in other first world countries?

If it's not guns, then why are we more "mentally ill" than other countries? Why are we more "sick"? Europeans play violent video games too. They watch the same movies that we do. If we're going to blame it on media, that's going to be a tough argument. So it must be something else...I'm listening.

23. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Just a pipe dream. I don't want to legislate their reproductive rights, but if someone bears a child it should be his/her responsibility to raise it. If I had a nickel for every parent who asked me what do do with the child, I could retire now.

Go ahead. Reproduce. But take a parenting class, and you must have CEUs for each stage of growth.

24. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

these soft target schools need to be hardened immediately.

25. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Only then can we explicitly complete turning schools into prisons, for the students safety of course :rolleyes: