Activists Interrupt Obama's Speech

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Apr 20, 2010.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I told you we were angry.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/04/19/Activists_Interrupt_Obamas_Speech/

2. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Yes, you're pissed off, but he has the world's most bigoted (apart from the damn imams) nation working against him.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if killing gays would become legal in the US. Back to them good ol' days, as they would say in the south.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wait, I thought liberals were all Obots who never criticize their president?

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Those days are gone, Heilage. And the vast majority of the US is for repealing DADT. There is nothing to hold Obama back on this one- that's why we're angry. He has public support on this issue.

Oh trust me, we plan on it.

We never have been- especially here. If people paid attention, they'd know that.

Oh wow- even more:

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/04/20/DADT_Protest_Now_at_White_House/

6. Shivetya macrumors 65816

This is not liberals protesting, but a protest group which shares some liberal views. People who want influence on the subject will not openly criticize the President, he will safely ignore this bunch and be secure in the knowledge that future such events will be much better screened.

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

What? You're splitting hairs. BTW- we were referring to people on this forum.

And no- Obama is in deep s*** with us and he knows it. Most gay rights organizations have pulled donations to the Democratic party as a result of their inaction. Trust me, that's no small change.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

LOL... So what you're saying is that it's not possible for liberals to criticize Obama, because as soon as they do they aren't liberals they're just "a protest group which shares some liberal views"? Good to know. Must mean that conservatives never complained about Bush's spending, because they weren't really conservatives, they were just folks who share some conservative views.

That's quite a rickety intellectual structure you've erected there. Careful it doesn't collapse on you. Wouldn't want to brain your damage.

9. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

How is this any different from the Town Hall meeting protestors screaming and being rude when politicians were making speeches trying to get people to support the bill?

Sorry, these activists are the same as the Town Hall meeting people who were rude and screaming out disrupting the people making the speech. I agree with their issue, but I certainly do not agree with the way they went on about it.

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Sorry- but this is what happens when you make promises you could deliver easily, but don't. There is no reason this should not have happened already. Obama has solid public support for getting rid of DADT. It's the very least he could do on issues concerning us, and he still hasn't.

If we don't push as hard as we can right now, it's not going to get done.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, one big difference is that these (non-liberal) protestors didn't get their marching orders and shouting points from the top levels of the Democratic party apparatus. This protest appears to be of the actual grassroots variety, as opposed to the astroturfing that FreedomWorks engaged in.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That, and they're not carrying around racist signs and shouting the N word at him.

13. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly. We've known for a long time that the only people who will take care of us, is us. We can't sit around and trust other people to do things, including presidents. We have to go out and make sure they do them.

14. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I know Obama is commander and chief of the military, etc, but doesn't it have to go through Congress first to get repealed? That is what I gather from what I saw on CNN. How senators were going to get it repealed, etc. And we all know how Congress gets work( or lack there of) done......

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

My understanding is that DADT repeal needs to come from Congress. Yes, Obama could issue an executive order rescinding it, but if he does Congress will definitely NOT touch the issue and the next president can simply issue a new executive order to the contrary.

Now, this isn't an excuse. Obama can, and should be, exerting influence over Congress to make this happen. But the idea that the best way to get this done is through the executive branch is, I think, misguided. And unfortunately, the path through Congress is slow and torturous.

Indeed, the best thing is to keep forcing the issue into the spotlight. But I suspect that Obama will sign any DADT reform legislation Congress passes. So the first thing to do is to find sponsors in Congress for DADT reform legislation, then whip the hell out of the caucus for votes to get it out of committee and through both houses of Congress. I really don't think the POTUS is the weak link right now.

16. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Obama could have easily signed an executive order suspending DADT while it is "reviewed" by congress. We didn't even get that, which makes me suspicious about how serious he is about repeal. Do you realize how many times we've been promised this, just to be always told, "Sorry, we were going to repeal it, but it's just not the right time".

We're tired of being promised something to get our votes, and then ignored afterward. This time has to be different.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My understanding is that Obama could issue an executive order that would effectively end DADT, however, if he uses an EO, the next republican president could issue an EO to reinstate it. To actually repeal the law, it must go through Congress, and that's the better option since it would be much more difficult to put DADT back in place once it's repealed through legislation.

What I'm unclear on is why they can't do both. Issue the EO to temporarily end DADT immediately and then pass the law to make it permanent. I'm not sure if there's some sort of congressional rule that says you can't repeal something that's been repealed by EO, or if they're worried that if it's repealed by EO, Congress will say "Look, DADT has been repealed! We don't have to worry about it!" and then forget about it. Considering the morons we have in Congress, I'm guessing the latter. Even though DADT repeal is something most of the country agrees with, it's still controversial especially among the conservative base, and if there's a way to weasel out of a tough vote on it by saying that the president already repealed it so why bother sticking it in legislation, they'll do that.

18. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I still think he should at the very least suspend discharges until it's repealed.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I don't know how indicative this is of any broader trend, but Dan Choi is back with his unit again.

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I think the votes will be there, especially if it's attached to a defense spending bill (kinda sad that the only way we can get something like this passed is by attaching it to a defense spending bill), it's just a matter of getting Congress to get off their collective arses and pass the spending bill.

Joe Lieberman, even though he's a scumbag on 99% of other things, has actually been pushing DADT reform in the Senate, so as long as we can hold the Democratic caucus together, we have 59 votes, and I'm sure we'll peel off one Republican (Scott Brown will have to go along if he wants a snowman's chance in hell of being re-elected in MA). The votes are there, the vote just has to happen.

21. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

He is, but his discharge is still pending.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I honestly believe that Obama fully supports the repeal of DADT. I don't understand, however, what the **** is taking so long? He should be making this into an issue with speeches and interviews, but he isn't. He's perfectly content working on other things while all the ******** hearings go on with scum like McCain using any rationale possible to keep things from changing.

All I can say is America, what. the. ****? :mad:

23. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

To get it legally repealed yes. However the protesters are upset because Obama is actively working against having DADT repealed this year after very publicly stating he would work to repeal it this year. By several reports in the last few weeks he is actively telling the house and senate not to even vote on it this year.

http://gay.americablog.com/2010/04/barney-frank-says-obama-is-not-for-dadt.html

President Obama in the state of the union address just three months ago:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Stat...ll-policy-state-of-the-union/story?id=9687078

24. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly right. And if it isn't this year, it certainly won't be next year and we will have been lied to yet again.

25. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Wasn't much of an interruption from what I saw.