Actor Mario Lopez apologizes for telling the truth about children and sexuality

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

guessing the title is of your doing, so I will say this, Mario told his OPINION, if you want to see that as the "truth" that is on you.

3. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Why do these apologies always sound robotic? Is that the programming language people are taught during the re-education training?

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Don't know but you knew it was coming. Dude wants to work again in TV.

5. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Because it is the truth :)

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It’s formulaic crap to tick all the boxes, written by the PR team at Anodyne Corp. What do you expect, poetry?

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It's a scripted statement put together by a PR team.

And, let's be clear, Lopez put himself into this position by going on Owens show and agreeing with her that it was "weird" that other celebrities were apparently letting their children pick "their gender."

Now, I tend to think that at 3-years-old, what children are picking is how they present themselves, and really, who cares? Nominal gender roles for toddlers are pointless, but yet, people like Owens want children to follow strict gender roles built up by Edwardian philosophy.

Lopez not only agreed with her, but said that it was "dangerous" and "alarming," and then conflated gender and sexuality, as the Advocate notes. So, people yelled at him, and he apparently learned something.

Good. This is how public debate works sometimes. One says something stupid, and experts yell, and one apologizes. It's not truth that was on trial, but rather two low-level celebrities issuing dippy opinions about another celebrity's kids.

We can disagree about gender dysmorphia and how that relates to very young children—and, I suspect if give kids a time to be flexible, they'll settle into their gender just fine.

So, little Johnny wants to wear a pink t-shirt, and Sarah wants to dress as Iron Man every day. Who cares? What's that, Eli just wants to be a unicorn? Okay. They're kids, and their gender and sexuality are largely sign-posts to be misused by society until puberty when this stuff really matters.

I've got two friends whose kids presented as the opposite gender for years. Everyone was compassionate and gave them room. One kid shifted back to her birth-gender, but still likes Marvel superheroes and wears pants and t-shirts. The other kid has remained the opposite gender and she's a happy, smart kid who kills it in school.

8. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Bill Burr could get away with the same type statement and it would probably be a lot harsher and hilarious.

So I guess soon as a baby drops out of the womb now, they make all the calls? I have some faith in the current generation on deck, but if this is the kind of thing coming from the next generation, we are truly ****ed.

9. kapolani macrumors 6502

This craziness is getting out of hand.

Do they put kids on hormones at an early age to suppress their natural gender because they feel different?

That's crazy stupid.

10. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

He didn’t say anything stupid.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

That's your truth. Not necessarily agreed to by others

12. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

He should have never apologize. He said his piece. People can criticize him if they don’t agree with him and then move on.

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Back when I was a kid, almost every neighborhood had that one boy that would jump rope with the girls outside and related more with the girls. But only few of them have grown up to be gay or transgender.

Nowadays, you have these so-called new age parents that puts pressure on their kids to take things to extreme levels, such as change of gender or sexual preference, solely based on their kids having innocent interest in what stereotypically the opposite gender is in to.

Many boys that do things considered to be feminine, end up being more masculine later in life than most men.
    Many girls who are considered tomboys, end up being very feminine and high maintenance.

I truly believe, the age below puberty, and especially when a kid is still in single digits, it's just too damn early and not responsible at all, for a parent to try to influence or even suggest to their kid that they are gay or transgender.

Sooner or later, we are going to witness an entire generation of LBGT, that a decent portion of them will eventually realize they are LGBT because of their parents and not of their own personal evolution of growth.

14. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

That was me. Partially. I enjoyed typical boy activities and many of my friends were boys, but I also had female friends, I'd play with them at school and get teased by the boys for it, I had a baby doll, I loved the color pink, and I enjoyed playing with my sister's dollhouse and EasyBake Oven...

I turned out to be bi (but not trans). I don't know if those activities as a young child were evidence of it; maybe they were. I certainly agree that 3-years-old is too early to be making decisions about gender identity and transitioning. It's very possible that the child is simply going through a phase, it's also possible that they're not trans and just have feminine (or masculine) interests. Let kids be kids. Don't stifle their interests if they happen to align more with the opposite gender, but also don't make decisions about their gender when they're prepubescent and too young to make the decision themselves.

So I'm LGBT myself and don't find his statements particularly controversial.

15. LordVic macrumors 603

You need to learn the difference between fact and opinion.

disgusting.

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, there's a disagreement there, and apparently, some experts disagree. I was just trying to lay out the usual script rather than pick on Lopez, which has never struck me as the right person to discuss gender dysmorphia and human psychology.

But, what do I know? I'm a hack who breaks cameras.

I do know that most of the angst about children's gender is hand-wringing nonsense, and if we treat out kids with compassion and intelligence, rather than insane judgmental nonsense, they tend to turn out fine.

Frankly, I think Apple's got more problems being that her mom runs Goop than Theron's kids.

17. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

The guy should be ostracized just for agreeing to be interviewed by someone as reprehensible as Candace Owens in the first place.

18. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

They also feel false and I'm doubtful that he was the one who came up with the wording in this apology.

People should live with the consequences of their statements and not apologize if that's what they believe.

19. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

What is?
    Can you provide evidence and stats to indicate the the trends?
    What do psychologists papers on subject say (if they even exist)?

Mario could be wrong, because I do not see anything to say he is right.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

yeah, your version of it.

21. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

What do you not like about her?

22. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

He should never have apologized. People don’t have a right to not be offended.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 1, 2019 ---
    Haha I love it when Liberals say this. Things they agree with are facts things they don’t are opinions. Or if you’re a 2020 presidential candidate, Republican talking points.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 1, 2019 ---
    I don’t need a psychologist to tell me a three year old doesn’t have a clue about gender/sexuality.

23. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

You mean other than her defense of Hitler and her association with Alex Jones?

24. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Most of us wouldn't figure we need social media to make the call about something that's someone else's call to begin with, either. There's bound to be and always have been three year olds who have announced to their parents that they're "not a boy" or "not a girl" and who the hell knows how they came by that assertion. They heard it, or they got stuffed into a little pink jumper with lace on it, or they were given a toy truck and took offense because they'd have preferred a doll? Let the kid and parents deal with it. But let them deal with it, don't close a door or hold one open and say uh this way please..

25. shyam09 macrumors 68020

shyam09

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-...pth/children-and-gender-identity/art-20266811

*shrugs*

Sure ... ignore the psychologist, ignore the kid, ignore everything but what you believe .. that works.

I think it's a fascinating subject to learn about. For me personally, it's a bit hard to understand, but still fascinating.