Actual date of Steve Jobs passing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thrill5one6, Oct 6, 2011.

1. thrill5one6 macrumors regular

thrill5one6

Anyone have a feeling he passed away the same day as the iPhone event but Apple didn't want that news to hamper the event?
    No disrespect intended during this sad time but they are a business. Guess I'm just a conspiracy theorist :confused:

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i dont blame you for your thinking. i think as time goes on, we will get the details of what happened. i assume it happened yesterday though.

3. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

It is quite possible. Something didn't seem right at the event.

4. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Doubtful - I'm sure they knew he was close though.

5. thrill5one6 thread starter macrumors regular

thrill5one6

Surprised there wasn't a big sell off of their stock after his death. The stock declined when he stepped down earlier this year.
    It also declined around 3pm Tuesday when they didn't announce a totally redesigned iPhone

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

It's safe to assume he'd been on palliative care for some time, and that Cook and other top execs would have been aware of that fact.

7. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Even HE wouldnt want his death to interfere with an iPhone announcement. No matter what, it was probably his request to not announce it till after, if that were the case. Its his families privacy and own matter.

8. hobo.hopkins macrumors 6502a

hobo.hopkins

I don't think they would have lied about the actual date of his death, although as others have said the top executives at Apple likely knew that he didn't have long.

Can you imagine how hard it would be to hold a keynote knowing that Steve might not live to see the whole thing? It might very well have contributed to the rather sombre mood of the event.

9. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

Yep, Apple has that control.

He actually died 2 weeks ago but Apple held the back the information until the event.

I mean come on, do you some of you actually read your posts before hitting submit?

10. cheesesteak22 macrumors member

Unlikely. Since death certificates and death records are public domain, I doubt apple would lie about the date knowing that people will undoubtedly be able to look up the official information very soon.

11. iKream macrumors newbie

Rip

I wouldn't be surprised. Did you see how miserable the presenters looked yesterday? Their smiles looked forced.

RIP Steve Jobs

12. machacker macrumors regular

I feel like this is a valid idea. The last thing Tim Cook said before he stepped of stage, seemed to be very strange to me. I know it is his first Keynote, so saying something seemed appropriate. But there was a sense of finality to it that really seemed to indicate that something had happened. I don't know if he passed away that day, or if it was just very obvious that it was going to happen. Either way, I don't really think it matters. The man is gone, and we are all going to miss him. Whether it happened on Tuesday or Wednesday, it doesn't really matter. I find myself in the utmost respect for the man, and the company that honored him either way.

13. mobiletech macrumors member

if it had happened the day before, the press release would have been much earlier in the day. Chances are right before the speech they were probably told that day to go see him before he passed on, but considering he was very close to all the board members they probably went straight there after the speech.

14. Krandor macrumors 6502

As was stated death records are public so I don't think they lied about when he died.

However, I do believe they held the event at Apple HQ so there was a possibility Steve could attend but it was obvious before the keynote not only could he not make it, but it was close to the end.

15. macinnv macrumors regular

I think the fact that Steve would die soon was already priced into the stock for a few months now, which is why the stock is slightly up today, however not as high as the overall market.

16. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

no, scott forstall was overexcited as always I thought

whatever the case may have been, I like to think that steve held out until the announcement. I can imagine he would have liked to see one last product announcement through

17. Hey! macrumors member

Yeah, I suspected something when I realized the empty reserved seat during the keynote. He probably had a special care doctor and the doctor told Steve he couldn't make it any longer the day during the keynote, he asked him enjoy his last dinner with his children, just an assumption.

18. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

There was an empty seat in the front row that had a "reserved" sign on it. Which gives me the impression he wanted to go but wasn't well enough to do so.

It's a damn shame he's gone.

19. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I agree.

He was either already dead. OR he was VERY close to dying and they kept him alive long enough for this event to pass -> You cannot die those facts at least.

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

My wife said it best:

"I refuse to believe that Tim Cook is THAT good of an actor."

21. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Right, because official records are NEVER falsified.

If Jobs was at home with his doctor, only his doctor would know for sure. It wouldn't surprise me if Jobs had given instructions about how to handle his death.

22. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

My wife suggested it was the negative reaction to the iPhone 4S announcement that finally did him in.

23. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think it's more likely that he held on until the keynote. It's not unknown for the strong willed to hold on until a close relative/friend etc gets to the bedside, or until after a key event like the birth of a grandchild, son/daughter's wedding.

While the keynote was not in that league, willing himself on to see through the keynote could have happened.

I truly don't subscribe to any sort of conspiracy theory. Please don't cheapen Steve's death and his loved ones' grief by suggesting such a thing.

RIP

24. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

Add this with the fact that there was no public feed of the even even through they were more than capable of doing so. They wanted to keep that door open if he was able to with a much smaller, far more controlled, venue.

25. ajcadoo macrumors 6502

ajcadoo

why must funny comments be made regarding such a sad passing?! haha