Actual value of Apple TV 2 (prices on Craigslist are insane)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Idgit, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Idgit macrumors 6502

Idgit

With the announcement of the Apple TV 3, I thought I could pick up a used Apple TV 2 for $40-$60 CAD. I don't really need one but I thought it'd be fun to have one to mess with and jailbreak.

So, I went looking on Craigslist. Used TV 2s are being offered for $120 and higher. Some jailbroken ones are going for $200.

This is crazy. Are there people stupid enough to pay these prices, especially considering the new model sells for $109 plus taxes and refurbished TV 2s were selling for $79?

What do you think is a reasonable price for a used TV 2?

2. Inopia-Vi macrumors regular

IMO, north of 70 is too pricy for the aTV 2. 65$ seems like a fair deal. And yes, some people ARE stupid enought to buy. I saw people selling stuff loaded with illegitimate software and making profit out of it...:(

3. Bill.the.Cat macrumors member

You can buy ATV2 refurbs directly from Apple, with full warranty and AppleCare eligibility, for USD69. They're currently out of stock but I suspect that they may just reclassify existing stock as "refurbs," repackage them and sell them off via the refurb section of the online Apple Store.

For a used unit with less than the full year of AppleCare remaining I wouldn't pay more than USD50-60, shipped to my door all taxes and fees included. If you can't find one in that price range just keep watching the refurbs at apple.com and buy one at USD69 when they appear in stock.

4. Idgit thread starter macrumors 6502

Idgit

The local market (Vancouver) is hot at the moment. Used Apple TV 2s are selling fast and the current selling price is $85 to $95. Over-priced, just like real estate here. Things will have to cool down, I think, before prices drop to what is reasonable for used TV 2s.

5. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Given the inflation of Apple TV 2 prices in your area, I recommend you buy a bunch of ATV3's when they're released and sell them for double the RRP since they'll be in limited supply for the first couple of weeks or so :p

6. Synik macrumors newbie

It's all about the jailbreak

The reason for the high prices on the ATV2 is because the new ATV3 can not be jailbroken at this point in time, and it is likely that it will be a while before that happens. So that is what is giving the ATV2 its excellent market value.

7. Ukrainianoiler macrumors newbie

I have a question regarding this. I've got an jb'd atv2 that I'm intending to sell once the apple tv3 is jb'd. I'm keeping my atv silver that's jailbroken (both with my firecore license).

What is the process to sell it. Do i have to restore it or can you resell it already jailbroken?

8. RedCroissant Suspended

That's crazy!

I bought my refurbished ATV2 for 90 LAST YEAR. So using that as a starting point, I would not pay more than $70 for a new/unused ATV2, and not more than $50 for a used one. I know Apple products can hold their value for a long time, but that is ridiculous.

9. itsmeoreo macrumors member

My brother is looking for an apple tv 2 after seeing how likely the latest aTV will NOT get jailbroken (we stream videos off an external HD connected to the router), but the current prices on eBay/amazon/Craigslist are over the top.