Adapting to the 13.3 inch screen after years of 15.4

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sportsfrk214, Jul 1, 2008.

1. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I've had my laptop for about 4 years now, and the screen is 15.4 inches, widescreen. Naturally I've gotten used to it. I'm pretty much decided on getting a MacBook as a replacement, but the only thing that concerns me is the 13.3 inch screen. I do not want to pay the extra to upgrade to MacBook Pro. Does anyone have issues with the screen size? And can anyone who has gone through a similar change share how the smaller screen worked for them in comparison to the bigger one? Thanks

2. lxuser macrumors newbie

I went through the same thing and when I learned how to use spaces (the virtual desktop manager of OSX), the virtual desktops fixed all my problems. never looked back.

3. isb macrumors newbie

It will be depending on what you do with your MacBook - web editing and photoshop etc. will get harder, but is possible, text editing will not be that much different unless you're used to work with 2 pages view (of course you will notice that the screen is less high, but you'll get around it in time). If you're used to work with a lot of windows, you can circumvent the limitation by using different spaces. On the other hand: you will definitedly notice (positively) that the macbook is smaller when you carry it around a lot :)

I changed from 15.4 to 13.3 about 2 years ago and do almost all of my work with the macbook now, it's just more flexible in day to day use. The only thing that I am really missing is a) the better casing of my older powerbook and b) the missing expansion slot (but that can be solved by using USB accessories).

I switched from a Powerbook G4 15.4" to the MacBook.

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I went from a 17" to the MB and it is quite a difference. I think it's a big trade-off. My MacBook is much lighter and portable and that's the part I love the most. :)

5. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

I had a 15.4 DELL, and HP at two previous jobs. I have the MB now, and I love the portability and really don't miss the additional screen size. It could be that I'm just more productive with OS X, but who knows.;)

6. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

Spaces can really help you adjust to the 13.3. If you set it up properly I think you'll get used to it very quickly.

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I too have fully embraced spaces. Its not the space I miss as much, its the viewing angle.

8. mosx macrumors 65816

The MacBook screen is fine as far as size goes. The resolution is 1280x800 and thats no different than most 15.4" screens out there.

So its really a matter of physical size and not lost resolution.

What IS bad about the MacBook screen is the ghosting!

Most MacBook panels have a response time of 24ms. So you get ghosting in everything from moving the mouse cursor around to moving windows to watching video. Very frustrating!

9. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

I had one of those hi-res 1680x1050 15.4'' Dell laptops. Was worried that the MacBook would be too small and low-res. False alarm, the MacBook screen is wonderful, got used to it in no time. Spaces helps a lot.

10. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

I went from a 24" iMac to a 13.3" macbook, didn't really bother me, just find myself scrolling down pages more.

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I went from a 14.1" screen to a 15.4" widescreen, and it was quite an adjustment. If I could have my 4lb laptop with the smaller screen back, I would do it in a heartbeat, even though it runs windows.

12. Natsu macrumors member

What's ghosting?

13. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

Ghosting is a visual effect seen on screens, normally with high refresh rates (which is the length of time taken for a pixel to competely change colour). So higher is worse, and the MacBook has 24 milliseconds, which is pretty high.

Ghosting looks like there is a short trail behind moving objects, especially when there's high contrast between the colours. It looks like an on-screen object is bleeding colour behind itself, and it's annoying if you notice.

Re 13.3 inch: I've got a nice 17" 1920*1200 screen on a less nice Dell laptop, and I'm looking out for a new MacBook, hopefully in alumini(yes i)um.
    But 1280*800 is a little daunting, and even though I've been to the lovely Apple Store and seen such wonders as Spaces and Exposé, I'm still a little worried...
    Although the resolution is a cause for worry, I'm not really bothered by the 13.3 inch size, 4 inches shorter and 40 less cm^2. What matters to me is that I can still multitask to obscenity ^_^ . For which Spaces and Exposé should provide.

14. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Exposé & Spaces works very well for me when I'm multitasking. I use my MacBook more now than my dual-headed Linux workstation when it comes to it! :cool:

15. sportsfrk214 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I'm not worried about the resolution, my current 15.4 inch laptop is 1280x800, same as the MacBook, the MB just crams it into a smaller screen. I'm pretty convinced that 13.3 inches won't be a problem, thanks =]