Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
How do I do it? I've got a 23" cinema with the glass edge from about 4 years ago, it has the one port with the pins (male) looking like

.. ..........
— ..........
.. ..........

where-as my poor old G4 has the monitor port (female) like this...

(Middle row to the left a little).
I'm sorry I don't know the names of these guys, but there it is. Any ideas? (I'm hoping to buy a new G5 in about 6 months to a year).

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
And I doubt you'll be buying a new G5 at all :)

Oh the shame! You know me too well my wife gets the new machine, and I get her old G5. Buuuuuuuuuuhuuuuuuuuuuhuuuuuuuuu :(:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
This is my old G4 monitor port from 1999! So it's monitor port is a VGA 15 hole.

2jb7wx

Now this is where it gets fun. A friend let us know some Mac floor stock was going cheap, and so we got a nice new aluminium monitor. I get Joy's old monitor. It has ONE cable, a DVI cable.

39z5zz

So now it seems there are adaptors but they are about $600 dollars because they have to have a power core and plug into a power socket etc etc. That's too much money because all of this is just to tide us over until we get Joy a new G5 later in the year and I get her old one, which married her old 23 inch monitor perfectly.

But.... then we realised that Joy's NEW aluminium trendy 23 inch monitor had it's own power supply, and that the DVI cable was just data! That means we can now look for a cheaper little VGA to DVI monitor adaptor from Dick Smith or somewhere. Cool hey? And I get to borrow Joy's trendy new aluminium monitor for a while... until she gets a new G5.

2fxwuo

This port is one of these....
dvi_ds.gif

Any ideas what a Mac adaptor might be called?

The funny thing is we got an adaptor in the monitor box, which is exactly opposite to what we required. It has the female version of the VGA port (not the 15 pins but the 15 holes) and the male version of the DVI port above with 2 sets of 9 pins each! What on earth do people use THAT adaptor for?

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
The mac adaptor we already had (useless) from the box was like this Dick Smith thing but white and a bit shinier (of course).

xh6788.jpg

So it must be for taking a DVI signal from a modern computer and translating into a VGA signal for an old monitor. I want to do exactly the opposite AND am also concerned that it simply might not be able to scale up to 23 inch pixels.

* Connectors: DVI-A Male to HDB15 female
* Meets DVI DDWG standards
* Resolutions up to 1600x1200 @ 60Hz refresh rate
* Compatible with flat panel displays, CRT displays

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
The Polycarb (plastic) Apple Displays use a connector called ADC (Apple Display connector. It is similar to, but distinct from DVI. In most cases you can connect an ADC to a DVI port with a DVIvalatior, but not the CRT with ADC as is needs an analog signal, and the DVIvalator only converts the digital signal. As for your VGA connector, you are at the bottom of the totem pole, everything can be converted to you, but you cannot connect to any of the other display connections. ADC can be downgraded to both DVI and VGA, and DVI can be downgraded to VGA and converted to ADC.

Your best bet would be to look on ebay for a newer Mac Video Card with DVI.

Sorry,

TEG

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
Woah, hang on a bit. I'm thinking of not using the Plastic monitor but the aluminium one with the multi-junction box connections. So the box will supply the power, and .... maybe... I can get a signal translator?

These guys ALMOST had the right one... but the DVI was male not female.

1145.jpg

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
While it can be done, nothing will work. As the VGA port puts out an analog signal, and the Apple Display wants a Digital signal.

You can get a Mac Video Card with ADC and or DVI for about $25 (USD) on eBay.

TEG

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
What kind of G4 do you have? And more specifically what kind of video card does it have? Is it the ATI Rage 16 mb card? Strangely I have this card in both a cube and a powermac G4 and while the cube can't drive my 21" widescreen Eizo monitor the powermac can.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
Its.... it's.... so old, I'm so ashaaaaaaaaammmmmeeeed. :eek::(:(:(

BTW — If the cards are that cheap, I'm interested in a new card. If someone can help me get something compatible with the NEW Aluminium monitor and this old beast of a G4, I'd be ecstatic.

Also, I'm in Australia so I don't know if that affects any specs. Cheers.

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics)
Machine Model: PowerMac3,1
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.6)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 450 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 832 MB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.2.8f1

ATY,Rage128:

Chipset Model: ATY,Rage128
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
Slot: SLOT-A
VRAM (Total): 16 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x5246
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-51809-112
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 85 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Not Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

MacEmu

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
Montana
The Polycarb (plastic) Apple Displays use a connector called ADC (Apple Display connector. It is similar to, but distinct from DVI. In most cases you can connect an ADC to a DVI port with a DVIvalatior...

TEG - what is a "DVIvalatior" ? I googled it but found no results. :confused:

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.