Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2004
Does anyone know if you use an ADC to DVI adaptor, if you lose any quality in terms of the video? I would assume not but was just curious.
Thanks!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Does not convert the signal, all it does is pass through the DVI signal and drop the ADC stuff (power and USB) while giving you a DVI plug at the other end.

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2004
ADC Connection

Thanks for the info! You're saying it drops off the power and usb. Does it route it differently or something? Obviously the monitor still gets power. Just trying to figure out how it operates.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Grokgod said:
how about the reverse dvi to adc?

is that possible
Those include a Power Supply to power the ADC monitor and add back the USB signal.
cmvsm said:
Does it route it differently or something? Obviously the monitor still gets power. Just trying to figure out how it operates.
An ADC monitor routes the monitors power, the DVI and USB signal through the video card, and out through a single cable.

A DVI monitor requires a power outlet/brick and a USB port. ;)

So ADC is one wire (DVI/USB/Power), a DVI monitor needs 3 wires DVI, USB, and Power.

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2004
ADC to DVI Video Card

Thanks Sunbaked! My final question on this is that if I have an ADC connected Apple monitor, can I upgrade to a video card that does not have an ADC connector by using the ADC to DVI adaptor? If not, I may have to take this monitor back as I definately want future expandability.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
cmvsm said:
Thanks Sunbaked! My final question on this is that if I have an ADC connected Apple monitor, can I upgrade to a video card that does not have an ADC connector by using the ADC to DVI adaptor? If not, I may have to take this monitor back as I definately want future expandability.
The "future" video cards would most likely drop ADC soon, so you'd be needing a DVI-to-ADC adapter in the future.

The future of Apple monitors is DVI, and dual link digital like the 6800 video card.

ADC basically is dead.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
yes ADC has been given the axe. better standard, but without market...it's pointless. firewire was lucky to be backed by the video camera segment otherwise it too would have met an untimely demise too USB. they now co-exist, but firewire seems to be losing momentum with the advent of USB2.0.

anyways back to topic, there is no signal loss as everything is digital. there is no converter, it's just a passthrough. the usb and power is routed through the brick. thus an adc cable goes in one side, and on the other you have DVI output and a power cable. far more clutter than ADC alone, but better compatibility with our PC using cohorts.

R.I.P. ADC, you were ahead of your time, or I suppose dead before your time thanks to Mac's market share and the fact you were a propietary tech. I will miss your cable free clutter :) (that is of course when I buy a G5 and 30" screen...for now me and ADC are still best friends).

erroneous

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2004
Might be an idea to buy an adaptor if you can afford it, even though you don't need it right now. As the number of ADC monitors drops off the adaptors might get harder to find.

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2004
ADC Connection

Thanks for your insight guys, as it is much appreciated. As much as I really hate to, I think I'll take this monitor back and get one of the new models even though visually, the clear plastic is much better and doesn't look like "just a monitor". Thanks again!

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
The DVI -> ADC adapters work fine and will continue to do so. If you like your ADC monitor (as long as it's not the ADC CRT!), there's no reason to dump it.

Yes, the video card makers are moving away from it now, but ATI is releasing at least one more high-end card with the ADC connector. Their new Mac x800 card has a dual-link DVI port and an ADC port - I saw it at the Digitalife expo in NYC driving a new 30" display from the DVI port and an old-style 23" cinema display from the ADC port at the same time. Not sure when it'll be for sale, but it should be soonish.

-vga4life

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.