ADC to DVI Monitor Convertor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PHISH007, Aug 19, 2008.

1. PHISH007 macrumors newbie

Hello all, so I just bought a new video card that has DVI ins..Turns out my older 23inch apple display has an ADC connector. SO I went to apple and they wanted to charge me 100$ for this bulky convertor. This is ridiculous if u ask me. So Ive scoured the internet for a cheaper convertor but all I can find is dvi to adc convertors, where as I require a female adc to male dvi. Anyone else have this problem b4?

-R

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

I had this issue with my powerbook a few years ago and had to just break down and get the converter from Apple. I think the issue is that the converter has to contain power for the monitor plus USB since both of these items were included in one cable for ADC. You're practically buying a power supply for the monitor and that is why they are both bulky and expensive. Well that plus the fact that there has never been a redesign on the converter since it was released.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Same here.

Decide to get the Apple converter. Expensive. Works well. No worries.

I purchased the 22 inch ADC about a year after they were introduced. Still use it. Still my favorite display.

At first I liked the one connector concept. Power, USB and video, all in one cable. But as time goes on, that connector was not popular.

Plus the adapter lets me use the monitor with my PC which has a video card with DVI out. I must admit, even though I am an Apple fan and will probably burn in Hell for doing it, Windows XP looks very nice on my ADC 22 inch. I almost feel ashamed to say that! :p

4. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Since only Apple offered the ADC connector, there likely was not a third-party market for such adapters, leaving you only with the Apple option.

And, as noted, it has to also power the display (since the ADC video cards provided power to the display) which makes it more expensive then a straight adapter.

5. PHISH007 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh my god this is so ridiculous..i might aswell just buy a new monitor! who wants to drop 120$ or 99$ on a convertor cable for an ancient monitor. Man Im so pissed right now.

-R

6. dual64bit macrumors 6502

There are converters on eBay. I bought one recently for about $60.

Those original cinema displays were great, such a collector's piece. Look at the original Cinema Display 22", it was DVI. It was DVI before anyone else used DVI.

Anyhow, keep the cool monitor, you'll regret it one day if you ditch it. The 23" HD is great, buy the adapter cheap on eBay.

7. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

You should see it on the 30" Apple Screen...

Anyway, I have an ADC (male) out for my old G4 Tower to a DVI (female) that I used on an IBM flat screen. Both have since been retired, but I saw the little cable Saturday in some stuff. But I don't think that is what you are looking for.

8. PHISH007 thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont think so, my monitor has an adc cable male cable coming out of it, so I need an ADC female to DVI male. thx though. It seems as thought if I get this apple convertor it needs to use a usb port aswell. This gets crappier and crappier. lol

9. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

You might do well to sell it and put the money towards a new monitor.

Good luck.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I have one.

It has an Apple Display Connector, not a DVI connector.

The Apple Display Connector includes DVI, power and USB connections. That is why you need the adapter/brick if you want to connect to a DVI connection. The brick has DVI, USB and a power supply and of course power cable.

11. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Only if you wish to use the USB ports on the ADC, but every monitor that has USB ports requires using a USB port on the host PC since you have to link the two.

12. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

It is worth it to get the adaptor, those are great monitors.

Don

13. PHISH007 thread starter macrumors newbie

What makes this monitor better than say a brand new Dell 24" Ultrasharp?

14. GreaterHater macrumors newbie

ADC to DVI Converter!!!! NEWEGG.COM!!!

This converter was easy for me to find...Check NewEgg.com here is a link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812116204

$23.00!!! They also have the $100 model you mentioned but that is to convert the other way, DVI to ADC. Good Luck!

can you power your monitor with the typical 3 prong power cable? Why would you need to buy the adapter to power the monitor if you can just plug into the wall directly?

15. viggen61 macrumors 6502

ADC (Apple Display Connector) monitors do not have a standard power supply. All power is supplied from the ADC cable and the connector on your Mac's video card. ADC video cards have the special ADC connector which, in addition to standard DVI connection, has USB and 28 volts to run the monitor.

Using a DVI monitor on an ADC-equipped Mac is easy. You just need a dumb adapter to convert the ADC plug to a DVI jack.

Using an ADC Apple monitor on a DVI Mac or PC, requires the more expensive ADC-DVI convertor. This device has a jack for the ADC monitor, a cable coming out for DVI, another cable for USB, and a power cord to attach to the wall. That is why they are so much more expensive.

ADC was a good idea back in the day, as it reduced cable clutter (only one cable to the Mac), and the need for more wall jacks.

:apple::apple:

16. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

The design of it. If you want to go and get a new Dell monitor, go ahead. But you have a great monitor already. the adaptor would be cheaper then a new monitor.

Don

17. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

I've got one but had to ditch my 2nd ADC monitor when I upgraded to the macpro. I too didn't want to pay $100 to hook up the 17inch monitor that is now worth less than $100 on ebay.

18. mwb85 macrumors newbie

I realize this is a ridiculously old thread, so I apologize for reviving it, but it came up in my search and fit my question pretty much spot-on. I also figured in the 4 years it's been that maybe there was something new.

I managed to come up with a Mac Pro and 2 widescreen Apple monitors from an auction where I work (out of surplus). I didn't even think to look at the time to see if the connections were compatible, but the monitors are the ADC connector (male) and the Mac Pro has 2 DVI ports (female).

From what I gather, the deal is still that you have to buy a rather expensive adapter because of the ADC connection being the sole power source to the monitor, as well. If there isn't an option out there that I've overlooked, how about this -- would I be able to grab ADC video cards from a G5 and replace the 2 DVIs on the Mac Pro? There are a bunch of G5's that are just being used for parts, so I'd have access; I just don't know if that would be compatible, as I'm not well enough versed in this.

I greatly appreciate any thoughts on this (particularly the last part). Thanks!

19. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You need the adapters. The G5 videos cards that have ADC ports are AGP only and Mac Pro's don't have AGP slots. Furthermore, Apple uses the unused AGP pins for power, USB, and other data making those cards only usable in ADC AGP slots.

20. mwb85 macrumors newbie

I figured that scenario was too good to be true lol. Thanks for the answer!

21. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Those screens still go for $75-$150 on eBay depending on the size and condition.