Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

photo-video

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2004
Hi all,

I just bought my first Mac and I need some advice and guidance. I installed the new Production Suite and I need additional HD Space especially for Final Cut Pro.

I have the standard 160GB drive that comes standard with the system. I was thinking about adding the new Maxtor DiamondMax 10 - SATA 300GB internal drive.

Here are the key features and specs: (from the Maxtor website)
FEATURES
- Second-generation Serial ATA with 1.5Gb/sec interface speed
- Native Command Queuing
- 16MB cache buffer for 250 and 300GB drive
- Fluid dynamic bearing motor for quiet operation
- Improved reliability with:
- Shock Protection System™
- Data Protection System™

High Performance
- DiamondMax 10 supports Native Command Queuing (NCQ). NCQ intelligently reorders read and write commands to improve performance.

Delivering reliability
- DiamondMax 10 drives deliver high reliability and data integrity using the Maxtor-developed Shock Protection System™ (SPS) and Data Protection System™ (DPS)
- SPS and DPS give the drive enhanced protection against operating and non-operating shock.

There are two different things I can buy, a kit and just the drive. I found the drive at Dell Small Business with a 20% discount so the drive comes at only $204 dollars.

link to Dell Small Business

I think the difference is that the Kit comes with software called MaxBlast but if I understand correctly, that's only for Windows systems. Do I need any special software to format the drive on Mac OS X? Should the drive by itself be all I need or do I need the kit?

Any input, advice, and/or recommendations would be appreciated .... new Mac owner here!!

Thanks!

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
You just the need the Serial ATA drive. Disk Utility in OS X can take care of partitioning.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I have 2 drives on mine and had no problems. It was easy to install and I have a dedicated drive for DV video. I only got the older 250 GB drive for $199 about 6 months ago. Eventually, I may swap out the 160 GB drive with a larger drive and use the 160 as a spare with plain vanilla OS/X if I need to bring the unit in for repairs someday.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
With two posts, it sure is hard to keep up with who is writing what and where, eh? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.