Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lthompson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Last year I got my 5 through AT&T and was able to call and add AC+. Should I be able to do the same this year with the 5S if purchased at Radio Shack?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Last year I got my 5 through AT&T and was able to call and add AC+. Should I be able to do the same this year with the 5S if purchased at Radio Shack?

I believe they nixed doing it over the phone but you can go into any Apple store within 30 days and do it for sure.

Your best bet is to buy it with the phone. If radio shack isn't selling it then go somewhere else.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
OP, I just did a check with AT&T and found that you are correct that one can get AppleCare + at their store.....But that does not mean other places will offer this. Verizon last year said yes to me, but when they tried it, the Apple rep said no. Others have said no as well. If one is 50 miles plus from an Apple store, Apple will allow you to call it in for the coverage, but if under 50 miles, one had to bring it into Apple first to be checked over, which did not make sense to me, because the phone was purchased brand new and had not left the Verizon store.

Some have been lucky and Apple gave them the coverage, but they had to by-pass the normal Apple rep and go directly to AppleCare + direct line which is shown below. Unknown what will happen this year so be prepared to read from those that give advise all over the map.

800-275-2273 (AppleCare +)

I would also call Radio Shack. They should know, but not a guarantee. Some employees just think they know.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-19 at 11.24.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-19 at 11.24.34 AM.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 71

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
And if you order over the phone be especially careful of keeping your receipt. Apple lost my record of my AppleCare+ purchase that I had done over the phone. It only registered as regular AppleCare, and I needed to provide my receipt for service. I had originally checked online and everything appeared to be setup correctly on Apple's support site initially.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
It's something you can purchase by just going into an Apple Store within 30 days of purchase, correct?

I'm intending to get my iPhone 5c from Best Buy to get my extra $10 or so in store credit, but I'll likely bring the phone into the Apple Store to get the extra coverage once the launch fervor has died down a bit.

lthompson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
I remember now that I was able to do it over the phone because the nearest apple store is 60 miles away. I called the day after I got it.

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2009
MA
The last time I checked, RadioShack actually sells AC+, meaning you can purchase it there without having to call, or visit an Apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.