Add HDTV (mirrored) to dual monitor Mac Pro setup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mark100net, Aug 13, 2008.

1. mark100net macrumors newbie

I currently have an intel mac pro with the graphics card with dual DVI outputs. I am using both outputs for a dual monitor setup on my desktop.

I am getting a Samsung LN46A550 HDTV (for the same room).

What I want to do is leave the dual monitor desktop setup the same and connect the HDTV so that the image of one monitor is mirrored on the HDTV. I'm not sure if this matters, but I do not necessarily need to have the mirrored image visible on both the monitor and the HDTV at the same time.

I know that I can get a DVI Y splitter and connect that to one of the outputs on the Mac Pro. And then I can connect the HDTV via DVI to HDMI cable (i.e. the HDTV and one of the desktop monitors connected to the two ends of the DVI splitter).

Is this the best way to do it? And will there be any degradation of signal (I guess not since it is digital but am not completely sure of that)?

The HDTV has a VGA input which I could use but I would rather not since I will connect another PC to that.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mark

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Your idea would be best. Or they do make powered signal duplicators (I don't know what the exact name is) that they use at my University to allow the signal from the computer to be on the Monitor and a Projector. That would be the best idea, since it would prevent any signal degridation (digital signals do degrade, and if enough are lost you loose the picture). HDMI would be your best bet for getting the video, and if you do some research, you can even find some DVI->HDMI cables that can also take audio from your speaker jack on the computer.

TEG

3. jampat macrumors 6502a

Is the native resolution of the monitor and HDTV the same? If not the result may be ugly unless you switch the resolution to match the monitor you are using.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

your idea works perfectly, and watch out for the resolution differences.