Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
I was using a 2015 13" rMBP that's been 100% flawless since day one. But the itch came to me with getting the new tbMBP with all the hype on the internet and so on. So I bought one and I immediately noticed how terrible the battery life was. I knew what I was getting in to so that was something that I hoped would get better with future software updates. I then went out and bought a USB-C dongle for all my regular USB stuff, etc. Having to use the dongle didn't seem like a pain to use at first but it started to wear on me pretty quickly. I was severely missing my good 'ole USB ports (along with the several others) that my 2015 has. I also couldn't get use to the way the keys felt on the new laptop. They just didn't feel natural like my 2015 does.

Okay fine. I told myself I would give myself a week or so to try to get use to the new tbMBP. But the ending result is I just couldn't justify the huge price of the new laptop for what seemed very little advantages I would get vs keeping my 2015 model. I was so thankful I didn't sell my old laptop just yet. Otherwise I would have been forced to live with using a dongle for my connectivity needs and living with horrible battery life. Hopefully Apple fixes the battery life issue(s) and I might change my mind in the future.

Back to good 'old reliable and it feels pretty good. :)

Reactions: Sanpete

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
All these 'issues' have been very well documented over the last few months so it really shouldn't have been a surprise to you.

The Kaby Lake update will fix the major issue (battery life) as the CPU's are more energy efficient and Apple will almost certainly increase the battery capacity. Other than that, I don't really see a problem aside from the horrendous pricing structure which is my biggest complaint.

I want to buy a new laptop this year. Microsoft could win my business with a more streamlined Surface Book, or ideally a traditional clamshell Surface notebook. I don't need the screen to be detachable so I'd be more than happy with a traditional laptop design with all the premium Surface goodness that comes with it (high quality build, display, etc).

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
The two things I will really miss not having on the tbMBP are the awesome speakers and the super bright display. Other than that, I don't think I will miss the laptop at all.

Reactions: Sanpete

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
I think for this release - the non-TB is the sweet spot.

Battery life is 12-14 hours, and doesn't throttle unless you're stressing the GPU and CPU. It's also the first laptop my wife "had to have" after using (and trying to claim) mine..(and she had a 12" rMB).

Reactions: jbachandouris

sn0warmy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Denver, CO
You kept your old MBP. You didn't "jump ship", which would imply that you went to a different brand + Windows. Confusing thread title is confusing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.