Add this to my frustrations of Office 2008

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vandlism, Oct 21, 2008.

1. vandlism macrumors 6502

Got done with doing my work on a PC over in the school's lab. I have a few things I need to add from my home computer before I send this file out. Just got this wonderful message from Office 2008:
    Word 2007 equations are not supported in Word 2008 for Mac.

Well awesome. Looks like I can't use my Word documents. I can't view my work, can't edit my work, and most certainly can't export to PDF to distribute this document.

I can't believe the number of issues I have come across using the latest version of Office.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you try Google? I searched for your error message and found these links, which may help.

3. vandlism thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm now discovering that any mathematical or greek symbols I type into my document won't be read by Office 2007, so I won't be able to bring my work back to a PC either. What is this?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You need to do File > Save As and change the format.

Attached Files:

5. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

This is Steve Ballmer giving the middle finger to a hardware platform that is making his company irrelevant, a form of the Microsoft Tax.

Long term solution would be to switch to NeoOffice/OpenOffice and the Open Document Format.

mt

P.S. I realize this is pretty glib of me to say you should change software, which might not be possible. The real long-term solution is to replace Ballmer.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

MS Office works just fine on a Mac, provided a user learns how to use it.

7. vandlism thread starter macrumors 6502

I appreciate you trying to resolve the issue, but this isn't a work around. Essentially I have an Office 2007 .docx with Word 2007 equations in it. Office 2008 for Mac will not read these equations or display them, and it won't change them either as it maintains a placeholder. This means that as long as I keep the document saved as a .docx, then Office 2007 can read/view/edit the equations. If I start typing in mathematical symbols using Office 2008, Office 2007 won't be able to read them, as far as I can tell. Additionally, I cannot export the document to a previous version of Word because Office 2008 will take those equations that it can't read and convert them into unicode, which messes everything up. Office 2008 is no good for reviewing this document, and the only option is to go back and re-write my equations using the primitive equation editor on the Mac side or boot up in Windows and edit in Word 2007.

8. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I may be totally off-base here, as I haven't tried what you are attempting, but have you tried to download the new OpenOffice and see if your docs will work in it? All of my Office 2008 docs and spreadsheets opened and formatted properly in OO 3. The new version of OO is much better than previous versions; it might be worth a shot.:eek:

(I'm going to be selling my Office 2008 now.)

9. vandlism thread starter macrumors 6502

I already have iWork '08 and Office 2008, but I might as well try this out. If successful I can use just use Open Office and iWork.

10. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I'd like to know if you're successful, so post your verdict/opinion/more questions, please.

11. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

Or they need any more than basic functionality. Seriously, openoffice has more functionality than office 2008 on osx.

12. vandlism thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm..well OpenOffice actually worked slightly better for reading the document than Office 2008 did. However, it still wasn't doing as well as I would have liked. I think if I am going to be playing the compatibility game anyway, I'll stick with iWork '08.