Added a line and my new number sucks!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steve686, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I preordered on Apple's site and was able to get through the server jam and have a white 32 set for Friday delivery. I added a new line to my account to avoid shelling out $549 in one shot.

I was curious whether AT&T would assign me a phone number before I got the phone and sure enough when I checked my iphone AT&T app last night they did. Well, it is my area code and a "915" number. Before I call them and request a number change, has anyone had any experience simply changing your phone number. Do they give you any options or,preference??

I don't really need my original number but would like something other than 915.

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Ok, first, why is 915 bad?

Second, why do you need to know if others have done this? Just call AT&T and ask, and you'll know for sure.

3. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I wonder if it has anything to do like that one Seinfeld episode where Elaine was upset about her new area code changing. She valued the prior number she had due to it's location.

4. Steve686 thread starter macrumors 68030

Steve686

Every number I have ever had with AT&T is a 3** number. I just like continuity to a point because I'm OCD. ;)

I'm tailgating right now and can't call them. Thought I would get opinions first.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I've seen the option online to change the number. I don't think they charge to change it but if they did, they'd probably do it for free considering how new your line is.

6. Steve686 thread starter macrumors 68030

Steve686

I'll look for that. Thanks!

7. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

If the added line was just to avoid the upgrade fee, why do you care what the number is? It's not like you're going to be using it for anything.

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

9. Surely Guest

Surely

I'd think that having a 3** number would be a lot more confusing than a 915 number.

:D

10. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Is the 915 an old prefix in your area or a new one? Thanks to Obama phones we've gotten a couple of new prefixes around here. If it's a new one the chances of you getting an old one are slim, their out of them.

11. Surely Guest

Surely

wat?

12. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Thanks to Obama?? LOL!

13. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

On MSNBC Obama just blamed Bush for the new prefixes

14. drakestan macrumors regular

Damn the Democrats and their new phone number system!

15. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I just tried to change my new number for funsies and it said that the option to change numbers online is temporarily unavailable. Don't know if that's due to the newness of the account or what, but you might need to give it a couple of days. It also does mention that there's a $36 fee to change the number.

16. leenak macrumors 68020

With Verizon, I was given a choice of 3 area codes including one for DC itself (kind of odd, I live in the suburbs and it is officially not in the same 'state'). I was able to choose my area code and prefix. I chose the area code that I liked and it is the same one my husband has.

17. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

The county I live in has an almost 20% unemployment, there are no jobs. The Obama phone people came in and literally had lines for days getting folks signed up for them. Hundreds a day for a city of less than 20k in population. New prefixes certainly aren't because a lot of people are buying new phones for their kids and people most definately are moving here.

I'm not being racists or insensitive, that's just what they are called around here. I've even heard the term used on the stand in court. I'm certainly not talking about the politics, I don't get into political arguments on the internet. May as well just slam your head into a cement wall and be done with it. He's just the one who enacted it so his name gets attached to it.

18. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

We still have no idea wtf you're talking about.

19. Surely Guest

Surely

I just googled it. Sounds like a great program.

20. lpeedin macrumors regular

21. sluggozmom macrumors 6502

sluggozmom

There is a link to follow on the att web site where you can select your number and then change it...
    find a number you like, then call and tell them you aren't happy with your area code, and ask them if they will credit you the $36 that it will cost you to change it, and if yes, to please note it on your on your account.
    They might be able to do it over the phone if you give them the number you chose,or you might have to call back for the credit after you've changed it yourself.

22. armoredsaint macrumors regular

armoredsaint

this...plus someone asked what's everyone wearing when they pick up their iphone on the 21st

23. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

The OP should call AT&T and tell them he ordered online but wasn't given any number options. It was just assigned to him without being able to see what it was before accepting it. I bet they will waive the fee. It's a bogus fee anyway. Just another way to make money......If your cell phone carrier can port your number over from another carrier in 5 minutes, I'm sure they can change it just as quick and easily.

24. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I have to correct your Seinfeld knowledge. She wanted a different area code not because of location, but because the one assigned to her was newer, and hence, an area code people new(er) to New York would have. "True" New Yorkers, she felt, should have the older area code (212 I thinkit was).

----------

Yeah, have no clue what you're talking about.

25. Goldielocks19 macrumors member

Goldielocks19

Verizon gave me an option. I live in NY so there was about 20 to pick from. Let me pick the area code and first 3 digits. Got lucky and the last 4 was pretty easy. I don't c y u can't change it.