Addfaith.net (My capstone project)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by joecool85, Mar 3, 2008.

1. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

My name is Joseph Raymond. I am a 5th year New Media Major and I have just released the beta version of my capstone project, AddFaith. Ever since I was a young boy I noticed that I think very differently about religion when compared to most other people. I find that it is immensely important for all people to have a religion, but I do not push anyone towards any specific religion, despite being a devout Christian myself (who is engaged to be married to a Pagan). I am interested in breaking down the barriers between religions and allowing people to see that all religions share common bonds. AddFaith.net is a place where people of any faith can come together and speak about religion and how it interweaves with their daily lives. AddFaith.net also takes advantage of the anonymity of the web, allowing people who are interested in finding their spiritual preference to ask questions about any religion without feeling nervous about the reaction of their peers. Lastly, AddFaith.net’s WorshipWiki is a section of the site where users can search (via town, state, zipcode, denomination, or name) for a local place of worship.

I'm interested in getting people to participate on the forums. If you would like to participate in the AddFaith.net community, you will need to go to the Forum and register an account (this only takes 30-60 seconds). After the registration is complete and you are logged in, you can post on the Forum, edit Worship Wiki pages and also create new Worship Wiki pages.

If you have any questions, please ask and I will respond as soon as possible.

http://www.addfaith.net

2. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Why do you think that? I'm an atheist, and I am doing quite well without religion.

3. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Well, I've found that it has helped me through many issues in my own life. And also, from what I have seen around me, it seems that people with a strong hold on their faith have had an easier life. I'm sure there are exceptions.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

What a fabulously condescending attitude.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Condescension aside- I do think this is an interesting idea. You don't see too many people trying to get along with those with whom they disagree.

6. stevegmu macrumors regular

Good luck with that here. Left-fielders are overwhelmingly atheists.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Actually I was pretty impressed up to the point where he said he thought only the exceptional atheists could have an easy life. That killed it for me.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

And center-fielders are mostly Protestant, while third basemen tend to be Catholic.

I agree with lee that talking without arguing about it is a novel idea ;) , but I do think Joseph would do better if he didn't refer to non-believers as Pagans.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Is an easy life something to aim for?

I don't think he did: you can be a devout pagan. Are you not confusing pagan with atheist?

10. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

I'm sorry if I sounded that way, it wasn't my intention in the slightest.

I didn't mean it like that. All I said is that is what I have seen in my life. I'm only 22 and I only know 3 atheists, all of which have led difficult lives. I would love for Atheists to talk about their feelings toward religion (or lack there of) on AddFaith. Diversity is key.

I never refered to non-believers as Pagans, and never would. My fiance is Pagan and she is very religious.

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'm mixed on how to react to this, you clearly seem to have your heart in a well meaning place....but I have to disagree.

But when you say people should all have religion, I'm assuming agnostic or atheism wouldn't cut it for you?

Also 3 example? I mean, thats not really a good judge of atheism...

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

God gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside and lets you know everything will be okay, even when in reality everything very well may not be okay.

Used to be religious, broke out of my shell and searched for my true meaning. Now an atheist. My life feels leaps and bounds better then when I had that crutch called religion hanging on my back.

jon

13. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

I never said that people should have religion, just that I recommend it. On that note, I consider agnostism and atheism religions (in a way).

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

God really helps when bad events happen in your life. For example.

"Man, I did really bad on that test, I may fail this class. Well God will take care of me and make sure I get through it." Look at that, problem solved.

"Wow, my grandma is really sick and might not make it. If I pray for her then God might answer it and help her get better." If grandma lives, then God saved the day. If grandma dies, well it just all just part of God's plan.

He's that invisible pat on the back when you need him most.

jon

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Fair enough.

Well, participation in large social groups does have obvious networking benefits that can, if exploited properly, provide one with a leg-up on an easier life. Whether that is due to favor curried with God or is a product of increased social networking opportunities is the question. Personally I lean toward the non-supernatural answer. I know others feel differently.

What branch of Paganism is she?

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Well, that's only 3, out of millions in the world. People who have difficult lives are going to have difficult lives regardless of what, if any religion they believe in. Religion doesn't make problems magically go away.

I'm an Atheist and the most the most difficulty I have in life is figuring out what I feel like eating for dinner. And since I'm hungry, I'm going to end this conversation for the time being and go look in the pantry and make that extremely difficult decision.

17. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

She doesn't cling to one branch but rather Paganism as a whole.

That was my point, I was apologizing for my statement about needing religion, as I am not very knowledgable about people living without one.

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Lousy phraseology on my part, perhaps. What I was trying to say was that for many the word "pagan" has a negative connotation.

The only times I've ever heard that word used in real life were in Catholic school, where pagans were pitiable souls who "had to be saved", and in right-wing politics, where fundies accuse liberals of living a "pagan" (read: hedonistic, faithless) lifestyle.

19. Apemanblues macrumors regular

Apemanblues

20. Queso macrumors G4

Oh come on chaps, leave the kid alone. If this forum idea takes off he'll probably be able to come and lecture us on religion soon enough.

As for me, I spend waaay too much time arguing this stuff here as it is, and as this is the only life I'm going to get I'll decline signing up for another forum and go do something more productive. Ta for the offer though :)

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. To the OP- good for you for trying. Keep it up- don't sweat the atheist thing. Look at it this way, you learned something. ;)

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I see. That would be like someone embracing all of the Abrahmic religions...

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Mac- from what I know of paganism, it's fairly broad and covers a lot of territory. I don't think anyone need belong to any branch, from what I know of it. I had several pagan friends back in Ohio and I don't recall them mentioning specific sects or branches.

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You dont NEED to belong to a specific branch, but there are many branches, and most Pagans are affiliated with a particular flavor in much the same way that Christians are affiliated with a particular branch.

It's about as odd to hear of someone who embraces the entire gamut of Paganism from Druidism to Voodoo as it is to hear of someone who embraces the entire gamut of Abraham-based religions from Wahhibism to the UCC.

25. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

It is somewhat of an academic point (in the end it doesn't really matter what her faith is) but it is interesting never the less (because I can see some people just saying they're pagan and not really defining it).