Adding a Favorite Items stack to the dock

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by iOSUser7, Apr 5, 2018.

1. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

Hi everyone,

I'm creating this thread because I need some help regarding the recent MacRumors post about "How to Add a Recent or Favorite Items Stack to your Mac's Dock" (Link: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...avorite-items-stack-to-your-macs-dock.2113038).

I'm interested in the Favorite Items stack so I did exactly what was said in the article, unfortunately the stack icons looks like a mess in my dock, take a look (credits goes to tarsins for the screenshot):

[​IMG]

However, someone in the comments managed to have the exact look I wanted to have, again take a look (credits goes to kirky29 for the screenshot):

[​IMG]

I made some research on the internet and found out that when you put something in the Favorite Items, the Finder use custom kind-of black and white icons instead of preserving the original icon which is why it look wrong when adding a stack to the dock.

I found an interesting post regarding this "issue" (Link: https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...ange-finders-sidebar-icons-in-os-x-el-capitan) which recommend installing a plugin to preserve the original icon when putting items in the Favorites. There are two download links in there, a modified version which I can't get because the link is dead and the original software (mySIMBL is the name) which is what I tried and didn't quite solved my issue because now the Favorite Items preserve their icon in the Finder but the Dock stack still use the custom (ugly) black and white icons.

I asked the guy who managed to have the clean look on the MacRumors article but he seems to be missing (or just ignore my question) so I really hope somebody will be able to help me on that one.
    Also, sorry for the kind-of "stupid" question, I know it's only a visual difference but it really bugs me out.

Cheers!

2. chabig macrumors 603

Right click on the dock item and check "Display as Folder" rather than "Display as Stack".

3. iOSUser7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

Unfortunately there is no "Display as Folder" option for that particular stack. Although the option do appear for any other random folder I put in the dock.
    Thanks for the suggestion tho.

4. chabig macrumors 603

I see that you're right, but I don't have an answer.

5. vddobrev macrumors 6502

The look that you are after can be achieved by just dragging your home folder to the dock, that is what the user you refer to has done in the image you quoted. As far as favourites perhaps there is no way to look the same.

6. iOSUser7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

That did the trick, thanks a lot for the help! :)
    I find that really confusing that this kirky guy replied something that has nothing to do with the actual article but oh well...