Adding a line to AT&T for 5s. Cost?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sodner, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Sodner, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013

Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

So whats the real monthly cost to add a dummy line to AT&T so I can get another 5s at a subsidized price. I read that you add a line, pick a data plan, get the phone $199 (16GB) and are then able to transfer the phone to one of your existing numbers and then cancel the data plan on new phone? Then I read the monthly cost is just $10 (24 months), and other places I read the monthly cost is as high as $30.

Can someone please explain this for me?

EDIT: I am on a "Family Talk Nation 550 with Rollover" plan with $30 Family texting.

And I'm asking here and not at the AT&T store because honestly I believe "most" of the folks on here know more then the typical AT&T CS.

Thanks.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

monthly cost will depend on whether you're on a plain family plan or on a data share plan.

I pay about $13.50 per month total for a family plan line where the user has a dumb phone on it. $9.99 for the line plus ~$3.50 in taxes and fees. Total over 24 months would be about $325, far more than a $250 early upgrade surcharge (if applicable).

I've heard of people "suspending" their dummy line to avoid the fees/taxes but I don't know specifics.

3. ttuguy09 macrumors member

I added a dummy line for $9.99 after they discounted my texting package by $10 bucks, so my bill with be the same every month and I got the iPhone 5s for $199. This works perfectly because with my bill being the same, the other line's contract will expire by the time the next iPhone comes out, so it's pretty much the AT&T Next plan for me while I actually get to own the device each year.

I know it's pretty dumb to add a line just to get a subsidized price, but it won't affect me as I paid the same each month either way.

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

If you are already on a family line then yes, it looks like you can add another for about $14/month after taxes and fees. You'd have to do the math as to whether this is a better deal than paying the end of contract fee or just buying at full price.

5. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Doesn't seem dumb to me at all, if anything it sounds really smart :)

6. Versed macrumors newbie

The 550 min family talk plan allows only 3 total lines. If you already have 3, you would have to go up to the 700 plan to add extra lines, which increases the monthly cost even more.

7. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Good info you brought here for others to know.

I do the same thing, 3 lines on the 550 plan for 2 people. No more.

8. MorganB macrumors member

Is it possible to use the extra line for iPad data? Just put the sim for the extra line in the iPad?

9. Sodner thread starter macrumors 68020

Sodner

Good to know. That makes this a no go for me as I already have 3 lines. I guess I'll buy it outright.

Thanks everyone.

10. yungskeeme macrumors regular

yungskeeme

I have a family play. I added a new line to get the 5s. I already have one dummy line. I had them suspended it so I just pay $10(plus tax) for the line and it's still fulfilling its contract. Will do the same once my 5s gets here.

11. aneftp macrumors 68040

The early upgrade $250 fee is usually a bad deal to take. Remember taking the early upgrade means you reset your upgrade date another 24 months. So in another year you are in the same boat as you are this year.

You will never be eligible for full subsidy upgrade if you keep using the early upgrade.

Plus $36 upgrade fee. Means it will cost you $450 plus $36. So $486 plus taxes.

Frankly u are better paying full price now $650 if u do not want second line and get full upgrade next year.