Adding a line to AT&T individual account to get iPHone 5? Mixed responses?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by corey407woc, Sep 13, 2012.

1. corey407woc macrumors member

After posting and searching through the forum i am getting missed responses on how to add a line to my current individual plan on AT&T. Im eligible for an early upgrade but heard that if adding a line would allow me to get the Iphone 5 for $199 with 36 activation fee and 10 bucks extra a month. after calling i was told that i would have to switch to a family plan.

do i have to create another individual plan and then add that to my current account ?

if someone knows the exact steps to do this would be great.

P.s. i already have a dummy phone that i bought for $20 bucks at walmart

2. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes at some point you would have to merge your two individual lines into a FamilyTalk plan. That's the way to get the add-a-line for $9.99 per month. Yes, the FamilyTalk plans cost more than your current individual rate plan so it will cost you more then $9.99 per month. Think about at least $20 more per month. There is no magic $10 individual plan.

Dave

3. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

You can add the line and convert to a family plan.. Then after you switch the 5 to your main line, put the dummy phone on the new line and remove the features like data. Does anyone in your family need a line? :rolleyes:

That option works best when you already have 2 lines. The 3rd one is always a lot cheaper.

4. Tzuten macrumors 6502

If you convert to a family plan, but one of the lines will be off contract soon. Can you cancel that line and keep the added line and go back to a individual account?

5. dave006 macrumors 68020

Sure you can change your plan at any time. If you cancel the older line, you will lose the phone number associated with it by default.

Might want to consider if you need that number....

Check this thread for more info http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1439438

Dave

6. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Of course you can. Nothing wrong there.