Adding a new at&t line to get subsidized pricing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by veedubshafer, Sep 13, 2013.

1. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

I have a family share plan with 3 phones on it. If I add another line and purchase my phone from Apple's website it looks like I can assign my existing # to the new phone. Then when the new phone comes I set it up and then I will go ahead and give my wife my 5. The new line will have no phone on it and be used just to keep more upgrades available to us. Does this sound like I'm on the right track?

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

This can be done. People have been doing it for years.

3. veedubshafer thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought so. Most say to go to the at&t store to do it but it looks like its possible to do in the comfort of your own home at your convenience instead. I guess that's where I was going with it.

4. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I did it at home with the iPhone 5.

I preordered it as a new line, then when it came in I called att and gave them the imei and the sim card number. They transferred my old number to the new iPhone 5 and it left a $10 line on my account with no data attached.

5. veedubshafer thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice! On Apple's website though you can actually assign an existing phone # to the new phone. I just did a "fake" order for a 5c to check it out.

6. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

You can, but at the time I was preordering it wouldn't let me do it that way so I ended up preordering one as a new customer.

7. veedubshafer thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok gotcha. Thanks for answering my questions! It will work out great right now because I will go from a 5 to a 5s, my wife from a 4 to a 5 and my mother in law will go from a dumb phone to 4. Not a bad deal for everyone involved.

8. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I think you will need to provide them with an imei of a dumb phone to use on the extra line so you can get the $10 price without having to pay for data.

9. veedubshafer thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think so because I have a family shared data plan.

10. mcgilm1 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if this can be done with an individual account?

I have an old Nation 450 individual plan for $39.99 and still holding on to my unlimited data.
    When I try to add a line, the cheapest option I get is to add another Nation 450 plan for an additional $39.99/month. How did you guys get the additional line for only $10/month? Is it because you already have the family talk plan?

11. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Not sure how that works because I don't have one.
    You have to be on a family plan.