Adding AppleCare+ in Light of Scuffgate

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stangs55, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

I ordered from Verizon, so I was unable to add AppleCare+ at the time of purchase. I'm aware that you are supposed to setup a Genius bar appointment, bring them your new iPhone, let them inspect it to make sure it's like new, then they'll let you purchase AppleCare.

Well our Apple Store isn't taking Genius Bar appointments until Monday, but all this talk of small scuffs has me worried what my 5 may look like after a weekend of regular use. Don't get me wrong, I have no plans to use a case and the scuffs will likely never bother me...but I'm worried that if I take Apple a phone with some cosmetic marks on it on Monday, they'll deny selling me the AppleCare+. Anyone else?

Think I can walk into an Apple Store this afternoon/evening and add it on?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Yes, yes it will. AppleCare+ coverers anything expect lost/stolen

4. auero macrumors 65816

Yes it does and if you wanted to you can "accidentally drop it".

5. Stangs55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

It's not the scuffs I want protection from...it's the water damage, cracked screens, etc...

My worry was that with the scuffs it won't be considered in "like new" condition...

6. applefan022 macrumors 6502

AppleCare+ covers everything and incidental wear and tear with a deductible.

7. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Nope!!

http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/applecareplus.pdf

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Clearly you are ignorant. Drop the damn phone and then take it back

9. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Apparently you missed the "willful" conduct part of the Apple Care policy.

Also not nice to call folks ignorant.

10. iphoneclassic macrumors 6502

If it is a minor scuff(without damage) with AppleCare+, you probably could use the automated advance exchange option. Just choose you cannot hear phone calls and keep pressing no to every IVR option and ask for a replacement. Once you have the replacement, send your old one back. You don't need to deal with any Genius. This is a simple warranty claim, and not a damage claim, so no $49 deductible.

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ummmmm, no.

Why do you even say that when AppleCare explicitly EXCLUDES cosmetic damage?

"The Plan does not apply to cosmetic damage to the Covered iPhone, including but not limited to scratches and dents, that do not otherwise affect the functionality of the Covered iPhone."

----------

In other words, commit insurance fraud?

Wow. Just wow. :eek:

12. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

OP, please call AppleCare + sales rep and ask to purchase the AppleCare + right now. You can do it over the phone as has been discussed a number of times now. Even I placed a call to AppleCare + and spoke to a sales rep and was told we can do this with a Verizon phone. Do not speak with the phones sales but the AppleCare + sales department

800-275-2273 (AppleCare)

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You can add it after the fact & without taking it in; it's just not encouraged or advertised. They will make exceptions though; just call them.

14. iphoneclassic macrumors 6502

There are thousands of phones exchanged under normal warranty(without AppleCare+) everyday because of electronic issues. One probably will get a refurbished phone anyway and Apple will refurbish this one and sell it to some one else. As long as it is not willfully damaged.

15. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

And? What does exchanging a phone because its NOT WORKING have to to do with exchanging it because it has scuff marks?

16. armoredsaint macrumors regular

armoredsaint

17. Stangs55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Thanks for the tip! I'll call them when the phone arrives.

18. iphoneclassic macrumors 6502

It is no different from a Genius exchanging a device if a buddy, hot chick asks for it. If you damage the product willfully and claim it is wrong. With this design Apple have to exchange lot more. Only other option is class action.

19. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes, it is different. Very different. One is a covered item and the other one isn't. So if you pretend that something is wrong with your phone when there isn't just to get it replaced because of a condition that is NOT covered, that is called FRAUD. Google it.

If a Genius chooses to exchange a phone, that is ALSO different. Very different. Apple may choose to give its employees DISCRETION to ensure customer satisfaction. That is very different from a customer committing FRAUD to get an exchange.

20. iphoneclassic macrumors 6502

Advance exchange has same mechanism. If Apple decides you sent it damaged device, they can charge your credit card. A Genius can look the other way for a friend. That is also FRAUD.

21. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

For what it's worth I just walked into my local apple store and added AppleCare+. In and out in less then 10 minutes!

22. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

AppleCare+ is not AppleCare FYI

23. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ok, so if a Genius decides to violate Apple policy and exchange a phone for a friend, that makes it OK for customers to commit fraud? What is WRONG is WRONG, and it doesn't matter what someone else does, it doesn't make it RIGHT.

Do the right thing. If you don't like the phone, return it. If you get scuffs on it after the return period, LIVE with it. Or sell it and buy a new one. Don't commit FRAUD to get a new phone because it has scuff on it! If you do, soon after you'll be knocking over 7-11's for cash because you are broke, or committing mortgage fraud, or stealing Grandma's retirement fund. It's a slippery slope once you start down that path. Do the right thing. It may cost you a little more, but you will feel better, and will make the world a better place. You will earn the trust and respect of your friends and puppies will be warm and fed and loved all over the world. Trust me. Karma is a ******.

----------

That's OK. Neither cover cosmetic damages anyway.

24. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

How much you wanna bet they would replace it under AppleCare+. And I wouldn't consider it normal wear and tear

25. iphoneclassic macrumors 6502

I always protect with a case and ZAGG Invisible Shield to keep in mint condition so that I can get better resale value for my old phone during next upgrade. I don't even remove ear buds and charger from package as I have so many. It is Apples fault to design this way. They will pay for it one way or the other. Don't blame the customers. Customers didn't ask for this predicament.