Adding RAM to my MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) 2.3GHz i7, what are the tools that I need?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bchinjy, Oct 18, 2014.

1. bchinjy macrumors newbie

It's currently resting at 4GB ram and I find my macbook pro to run rather slowly when doing heavy loads of work.

I've done some research and would like to get confirmation on whether if this 8GB ram would work on my macbook?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-PC3...ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

And what type of screwdriver do I need?

And also, If you were in my position, would you rather buy an SSD or would you increase the RAM?

If there's anything you think I should know, please do let me know as my knowledge on these computer stuff is really really limited. Thank you :)

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

#00 Philips screwdriver.

Keep shopping, you can get a better price on (IMO) better memory. Amazon re-directs to the US site for me but the Corsair Vengeance single stick 8 GB module is cheaper than that "generic" Crucial. I have the "kit" of 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance in my MBP.

As for which to do. Is your problem with the speed of apps opening or with the performance of the system when you're running multiple apps at once? If it's with the speed of apps opening, look at an SSD, if it's the performance once they're open you want to look at RAM. Also, on Activity Monitor you can see what your "swap used" says. Reboot and keep an eye on it after a few hours of normal usage. if swap used is high, get more RAM.

3. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

You just need a very small phillips screwdriver. You may already have it. That's it.