Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
I am about to rip the guts out of my iMac, in that I'm going to take out the original 1TB HDD and replace it with a 4TB HDD, add a 256GB SSD (and while I'm in there, swap out the SuperDrive for a slot-loading BD drive). The intent, obviously, is to create all the storage space I need for my media on board, but add the SSD so that the OS isn't slowed down by living on an HDD that's half-full already with media.

So, when I get all this installed and boot up / install the OS, will Yosemite put itself on the SSD automatically, or do I need to point it in the right direction?

TIA

tpluth

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
Carmichael, CA
I am about to rip the guts out of my iMac, in that I'm going to take out the original 1TB HDD and replace it with a 4TB HDD, add a 256GB SSD (and while I'm in there, swap out the SuperDrive for a slot-loading BD drive). The intent, obviously, is to create all the storage space I need for my media on board, but add the SSD so that the OS isn't slowed down by living on an HDD that's half-full already with media.

So, when I get all this installed and boot up / install the OS, will Yosemite put itself on the SSD automatically, or do I need to point it in the right direction?

TIA
If you're going to create a Fusion drive, everything will go onto the one volume. As you use the system, it'll figure out what should be on the SSD and what should be on the HDD. You don't get (or need) any control over it.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
If you're going to create a Fusion drive, everything will go onto the one volume. As you use the system, it'll figure out what should be on the SSD and what should be on the HDD. You don't get (or need) any control over it.

Great! Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.