Adios - but one final parting shot about Richard Blumenthal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by John-F, Sep 30, 2018.

1. John-F macrumors regular

I've been a member of Macrumors for 7 years but only recently started posting in this Politics forum. After participating in this area for several days, I've decided to keep my participation related to Apple products, applications, etc. I do enjoy political discussions including intelligent and honest differences of opinion, and I will go elsewhere for that. I've mentioned to a few in Conversations where I am going. To any others including several who gave my posts Likes, thanks for your support.

Now to the main subject:

Cotton to Blumenthal: You don't have credibility to question Kavanaugh

First couple of paragraphs:

Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) ripped into Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) on Thursday for lying about his military service and then questioning Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh's credibility.

Sen Blumenthal lied for years about serving in Vietnam, which is all you need to know about his courage & honesty," Cotton, who is not on the Senate Judiciary Committee, tweeted during the questioning. "Maybe he should reconsider before questioning Judge Kavanaugh’s credibility."

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate...ears-should-reconsider-questioning-kavanaughs

I don't know what's wrong with the voters of Connecticut electing him. Seems to follow a pattern of integrity not mattering. In a perfect world, someone would approach him and to his face call him a lying **** on national TV. Of course the main networks would not show that.

2. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Ok, so what does that have to do with Kavanaugh and his historically low favorability, or the allegations?

You want a different senator. Ok?

3. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

The main subject, judging from your thread title, was that you are leaving PRSI. If you wanted to make the main subject Senator Blumenthal, why bury that lede in favor of trumpeting news of your impending departure from this subforum?

Anyway, thanks for dropping by and don't let us keep you from your self-appointed rounds.

"Thread ready for wasteland, Captain."
    "We have a new policy. We just let them drop off page one for lack of interest."

4. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Regardless of Blumenthal's past record with the truth, he is on the judiciary committee. All members of that committee had a responsibility to question Kavanaugh critically to attempt to get at the truth. To not do so would be a dereliction of responsibilities to that committee, congress and US populus. I'm looking at you Lindsey Graham, Ted Cruz and Orin Hatch.

5. John-F thread starter macrumors regular

Him questioning Kavanaugh is of course appropriate, but pontificating about credibility is a bit much. But the real questions go to the voters and his party leadership putting him on that committee.

6. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Much ado about nothing.

Just more partisan bickering, I wonder if there are any real issue the American people still care about.

The shrinking middle class?

The concentration of wealth into the hands of fewer and fewer people?

Sky rocketing healthcare costs?

A Congress that only seems to care about Banks and other corporations?

The political nature of the court systems?

The raising threat of global climate change?

I didn't think so, lets all pile on the side shows, and forget what matters.:rolleyes:

7. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

If Blumenthal's one lie disqualifies him from questioning Kavanaugh, then Trump's thousands of lies disqualifies him from nominating him. And Kavanaugh's evasive answers and dishonest representation of his high school and college drinking habits disqualifies him from being on SCOTUS. How about that?

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think many (probably most) of the American people care very much about the issues that you just listed. But we seem to get distracted by nonsensical near irrelevancies.

Brett Kavanaugh's elevation (or not) to the Supreme Court will do nothing to address those issues. He might, possibly, make it somewhat more difficult for a woman to obtain an abortion in this country. Which would be a shame, but is not really going to impact most Americans on a daily basis.

Starting a trade war with China (or Mexico, or Germany, or Canada..) is not going to increase wages for average Americans. It will certainly raise prices average Americans pay for goods when they shop at Wal-Mart or their local auto dealer. Pulling out of the Iran nuclear accord will certainly raise fuel prices, and it is unlikely to make Americans any safer.

I fail, utterly, to see how giving multi-millionaires and corporations a trillion dollar tax cut is going to rein in healthcare costs, or boost wages for most employees.

Numerous people have stated that the reason they voted for Donald Trump was to ensure a Conservative Supreme Court pick. They've got what they wanted. I hope they feel the price the country has paid and will continue to pay for that decision is worth it.

I don't.

9. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Admittedly the Democratic Party is only marginally better, but if those are your concerns, how can you vote for the explicitly corporate grifter party that is the GOP? It's honestly mind boggling. Most of your political positions are on the far left of the political spectrum.

10. raqball, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018

raqball macrumors 68000

This area is definitely toxic, very toxic so I don't blame you for bailing out... I come and go as I need a break from the constant discredit attempts, taking what's been said out of context, et al....

There really is only a handful of members that do this on a consistent basis.. There are some level headed liberal and conservatives here and I enjoy the back and forth with them...

Don't let the shouting down, discrediting attempts and taking what's been said out of context tactics work but if you've had enough then I can't disagree with your decision and I'll see you on the other side!

11. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'll go one further than that.

If Blumenthal's one lie disqualifies him from questioning Kavanaugh, or even as the OP put it, being elected to the Senate, then what does that say about Trump's thousands of lies disqualifying him from nominating Kavanaugh? And then by extension, that should disqualify Trump from being elected POTUS.

And finally, what does that say about what is wrong with those that voted for Trump? As the OP said himself, it seems to follow a pattern of integrity, honesty, and character not mattering. Perhaps that voting for someone lacking those reflects more of the lack of character, honesty, and integrity those Trump supporters do not see in themselves?

BL.

13. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Judging by the fact that you feel the need to proclaim your arrival and departure of simply posting your opinions here, I'm not sure your future echo chamber is the best solution. Instead, maybe a look inside at why you feel you must be melodramatic. If you can't handle the types of chats here in PRSI, then it's not boding well for your interactions with other "mixed views crowds." This place is tame.

14. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

THAT really needed to be seconded.

15. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Bingo! You nailed it.

16. Huntn, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I think quite a few of us worry about these things, just not enough of us. All those things are very important and they get thrown by the wayside when we elect a self serving dummkopf for President and stack the Congress with people who don’t really care about rank and file citizens, but they get their wedge issues addressed. :oops:
    --- Post Merged, Sep 30, 2018 ---
    So Senator Cotton is vested in the Liar in Chief and feels the need to lecture others?
    But wait, I agree and using your rational, Supreme Leader should not be allowed to nominate anybody for anything. :oops:
    Why don’t we go down the list of every Senator on the committee and compare honesty notes and use that to decide who can staff Congressional committees?

17. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I for one do not understand the hand-wringing over RvW. I simply don't think it is going to be overturned. And certainly not 15 minutes after Kavanaugh is sworn in.

But back to your premise. Do you really think the country as a whole will really be affected if abortion rights are returned to the states? Sure a few individuals might, but not the country. The things that are in the forefront of the news affect small groups of people in this country.

18. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Yeah like the poorest and most vulnerable.

19. John-F thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks much. Away from the computer for several hours while at an NFL game. Everyone stood. Imagine that but the team I support is patriotic.

There are some good people here on both sides of the aisle, but there is also a hard core of leftists who I believe are bitter and angry at life and it manifests itself in their posts. Some seem to be here 24/7 appearing they have no other interests or activities. It is possible to have spirited discussions away from this bitterness and anger. Whether on-line or in real life, I prefer to associate with people who are positive and upbeat, and generally successful at their endeavors. You are influenced by the kind of people you choose to hang around with. My mentioning this was not intended to be melodramatic but to encourage some of the good people here to possibly reconsider the negativity here and consider some alternatives.

Regarding Blumenthal, attempting to deflect by pointing out the imperfections in others is a typical tactic. Blumenthal lied about being in Vietnam, not just once but over a period of time he repeated the lie. Some describe this as stolen valor. To those of us who put on the uniform and made some sacrifices, his lie is especially egregious and in a category by itself.

20. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I agree it's good to spend time with real friends in real space and time.... but when indulging in virtual mode, there's always the likes of the Cheese Thread for a bit of good cheer... and assorted other hangouts in the Community Discussion where people do share not just gripes but also happiness, even if that subforum is also a good place to kill time painlessly while serving out a suspension from PRSI :rolleyes:

Me, I often use the site here as a break for when I'm doing something really tedious like hand-sewing 50 feet of binding onto a quilt to finish it. Checking into MacRumors is an alternative to just listening to podcasts or audiobooks or keeping one eye on a streaming TV episode. Shifting back to a task at hand from optional online activity also makes me consider whether it's time to get up and get some exercise to keep my body from thinking muscle tone has gone out of style.

21. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Are you suggesting that protesting perceived institutional racism in the criminal justice system is somehow unpatriotic? Protest, especially unpopular protest, has long been a cornerstone of the United States. What's more patriotic than that?

22. ThisBougieLife, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2018

ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

It really is. I've essentially eliminated all other sites where I used to discuss politics in favor of this one. Most of the other sites I was on have much more lax moderation, one in particular. There you could start threads that are thinly-veiled passive-aggressive attacks on specific users but as long as they don't actually mention another user's name, they are allowed to stay up. It got to the point where people were creating second accounts to get around blocks and sending people harassing private messages. This site is a day at the beach compared to that.

The sad thing is...that site is tame compared to YouTube comments.

23. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

What's interesting to me is that the majority of people who "liked" my previous post in this thread, are also people I often find myself having "arguments" with here. So, yeah, I don't really see what you're seeing. Lots of different people here always bring up lots of different points. Some are predictable, some aren't. Some I agree with, some on this forum have opinions I honestly can't stand. But I wouldn't want them to not have those opinions. That's the nature of a discussion with folks who may or may not see things the way you do. At least the discussions are happening.

24. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I grew up in Connecticut and Blumenthal has been in politics forever starting with his position of CT attorney general from 1990-2010. He was extremely popular during that time and I believe it wasn’t until his senate run that he started making the misleading Vietnam claims.

People are willing to overlook or forgive their candidates shortcomings, blunders, or crimes all the time in favor of the politics the candidate backs. I think the 2016 POTUS election indicated that on both sides. You also have Elizabeth Warren, who is very popular, claiming to be Native American despite no proof. Even Ray Moore despite highly credible evidence of being a serial sexual abuser got something like 48% of the vote.

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Which brings up another good point: hypocrisy. The OP wonders about the integrity and honesty of Democrats in electing someone like Blumenthal, while completely ignoring those within his own ranks, like Trump, Moore, and others. It's people like that, in the positions that they are in that leave the OP with no room to talk at all.

BL.