Administration blows another Intel source

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SMM, Oct 9, 2007.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

This is absolutely unbelievable. The Bush administration is the best friend Al Queda has. Read it and weep.

2. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I just read about this on Wired as well.

The Bush White House continues to leak like a screen door on a submarine even while the 'war on terror' is at stake. They're very good at keeping secrets like who Cheney spoke with to construct our energy policy, but they just can't keep on a lid on top secret information.

There's a good link from the Washington Post and Wired.

From the WaPo:

3. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I hope they hunt this traitor down, try him or her and then put something in place to prevent it from happening again.

Geez, I can't believe how many people will do anything to get a little favor with the media.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Look no further than your buddy, W. Obviously, he can't keep anything a secret.

5. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

What's interesting is not just that it was leaked to the media, but it was leaked internally to other intelligence agencies who also helped to blow the source.
    Considering past actions, I don't expect anything to happen to the little twit, the White House is far more interested in it's public image than actually defending the country or protecting sources and methods.

6. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

The CIA used to always be managed by professional intelligence people. Even today, the agency's core are exactly that. But, during the Nixon years, the top people became political hacks. GW I was one of them. There used to be a saying in the agency, that the fastest route to the Kremlin was not the 'hot line', but George Bush at a cocktail party.

We always see movies of CIA 'spooks' involved in various plots to destroy humanity, for a goal only they understand. The truth is far from that. The vast majority of the CIA is involved with intelligence gathering. The next largest group is involved with the analysis of the collected Intel data. It is a very professional body and has more PHDs on staff than anyone. These leaks come from the political appointees, not from the professionals.

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I won't disagree, I thought it was an interesting detail in the story. The leak didn't just happen because as Swarm said "...how many people will do anything to get a little favor with the media" but rather than damage had already been done by people in the intelligence community.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You know.....I think I liked the blowing that was going on in the previous administration A LOT better :D

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Uh, did you actually read the article? Or paid attention to what's been going on in the last couple of years? They leaked it because they wanted to get the news out there, no matter what the cost to the investigation. This wasn't just a one time thing by a rogue, it's happened before. Numerous times. Like the case in England awhile ago that also just made things worse and sent a lot of police work down the drain.

Though I suppose it's progress that at least you aren't defending this, are you going to suddenly tell us Bush was protecting us and that we'd all be mad if they didn't say anything if it turns out he or a close member of his administration is responsible? Especially if under orders? You seem to be ok with situations like this when that's the case.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Wouldn't surprise me if nobody gets fired over this, as horrifically stupid as it is. We don't hold people responsible in this administration.

11. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

I think that this "war on terror" is totally phony. It is a genius marketing scheme meant to keep the American people afraid and at a state of perpetual war, so that the neo cons can strip away at our constitutional rights, and make money for the defense contractors. Who, I might add, have friends in high places (Bush, Rice, Cheney). That is why, this administration constantly makes "mistakes" like this. They are really not mistakes at all. If they can keep state secrets from the people of the US, then they absolutely should be able to keep secrets from foreigners.

12. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Interesting that you say that because GW has been accused of running the tightest lipped ship in recent memory as far as the press is concerned. Things were leaked out of the Senate (hence the nickname of Leaky Leahy), but not out of the Whitehouse itself.

I think you should reserve your accusations until the identity of the real perp is known. Whatever spin people want to put on it, there was no up side to GW or the administration in leaking the info. The only beneficiary was the leaker - at least until he or she is caught.

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Been watching too many paranoid crime shows lately? Perp!>!>!>

No, in this case bushco's outsourcing has come back to take a huge chunk out of his buttocks. It's only natural that those driven by profit are going to break the law when it's convenient for them. Look for more leaks ahead and a much less safe US.

14. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

You neglected to mention the dollar amount or the bank it was drawn on of the check you're implying that GW cashed as a result of purposefully leaking this information. Or are you making that up?

"It's only natural that those driven by profit are going to break the law..." What? You win the gross generalization of the week award in my book.
    :rolleyes:

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, the only leaks out of this WH are authorized ones. That should tell you something about both this leak and the Plame leak.

Oh there most certainly IS an upside for BushCo to leak this -- sowing fear amongst the populace. GW and Co know that a fearful public supports things like handing rights over to the government, or allowing telecoms immunity for what they did while spying on us even though no one knows what they did while spying on us.

Fear is a friend to the GOP.

On a related note, I'm waiting for all the righty bloviators who were ready to execute the head of the NYTimes for treason for daring to publish information that may or may not have been useful to al Qaeda, to rise up and demand Rupert Murdoch's trial and subsequent execution on treason charges as well.

They're not demanding the head of Rupert Murdoch you say? But that would expose them as base (and dangerous) hypocrites, seeking to attain political advantage by tossing accusations of treason about. Oh, right. IOKIYAR.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Thank you! That's been the neocon's plan all along. Follow the money.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Which is the part that makes me think this wasn't just some rogue trying to get paid. You get the WH spokes person sending mixed messages about what may or may not have happened. Watching her press conference was painful. And not even faked righteous indignation from higher ups.

If things like this are leaked out of the Senate, it would be wrong too. But as said, the administration has leaked other things before when it suits them. This was only known by people with high levels of gov clearance. Who leaked it? Why was it leaked? And why does it seem like the WH are trying to cover it up or excuse it rather than being pissed and threatening to go after the leaker and the press member(s) who published it like they did with things like the NY Times and the wiretapping program?

If we find out it's another Libby situation, will you still be as upset?

You can't honestly be saying that.

Yeah, for some reason it's not as readily mentioned that Fox leaked this. I guess it's only bad if a liberal place releases info on an illegal program. It's not treason to release the name of a CIA operative because her husband criticized the war. This is wrong, but only if it wasn't authorized by higher ups, plus Fox was only doing their job.

But hey, I heard that Leahy guy did something, so let's talk about that instead of this non-story that has nothing to do with anything.

9/11.

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Of course, too, this "small private intelligence company that monitors Islamic terrorist groups"...whoever their source inside al-Qaeda was, that guy's dead by now.

Hope those two "senior officials" can sleep nights.

19. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Just like the whole Valerie Plaim situation, right?

Oh, wait. Nevermind.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That was ok because she sent her husband there, he was lying, and she wasn't actually under cover.

Except, you know, none of that.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This was a vulnerability in an al-Qaeda computer network or something along those lines. I belive the vulnerability was the only thing killed off by this.

Now, anyone who associated with Ms. Plame on the other hand...

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Perhaps al-Qaeda should switch to Macs :D

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Arrest this man for aiding and abetting the enemy.

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

"Your honor, I don't believe anyone should have to put up with Microsoft's crap, terrorist organization or not" :D

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It was my understanding that these guys had figured out a way to listen in on the so-called "dark-net" and were not exploiting a particular system or person.
    However, once one particular website was connected by a dozen or so US government IPs, the rest of the "dark-net" went quiet and we can be sure that Al Qaeda has learned from this particular mistake.