Administration Creates Phony Districts/Lies About Jobs

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IntheNet, Nov 17, 2009.

1. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Saved or Created in Phony Districts!!! Change you can't believe in!!!

Exclusive: Jobs 'Saved or Created' in Congressional Districts That Don't Exist
    Human Error Blamed for Crediting New Stimulus Jobs to Nonexistent Places
    By JONATHAN KARL
    Nov. 16, 2009
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/jobs-saved-created-congressional-districts-exist/story?id=9097853
    Here's a stimulus success story: In Arizona's 15th congressional district, 30 jobs have been saved or created with just $761,420 in federal stimulus spending. At least that's what the Web site set up by the Obama administration to track the $787 billion stimulus says. There's one problem, though: There is no 15th congressional district in Arizona; the state has only eight districts. And ABC News has found many more entries for projects like this in places that are incorrectly identified. Late Monday, officials with the Recovery Board created to track the stimulus spending, said the mistakes in crediting nonexistent congressional districts were caused by human error. "We report what the recipients submit to us," said Ed Pound, Communications Director for the Board. Pound told ABC News the board receives declarations from the recipients - state governments, federal agencies and universities - of stimulus money about what program is being funded. "Some recipients clearly don't know what congressional district they live in, so they appear to be just throwing in any number. We expected all along that recipients would make mistakes on their congressional districts, on jobs numbers, on award amounts, and so on. Human beings make mistakes," Pound said.

The issue has raised hackles on Capitol Hill. Rep. David Obey, D-Wisc, who chairs the powerful House appropriations Committee, issued a paper statement demanding that the recovery.gov Web site be updated. "The inaccuracies on recovery.gov that have come to light are outrageous and the Administration owes itself, the Congress, and every American a commitment to work night and day to correct the ludicrous mistakes."

Congressman Blasts White House for Faulty Job Data on Government Web Site
    FOXNews.com
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/200...xnews%2Fpolitics+%28FOXNews.com+-+Politics%29
    The government Web site -- Recovery.gov -- is under fire for posting a number of jobs created in congressional districts that don't exist and for accepting unrealistic data from several reporting outlets. The Democratic chairman of the House Appropriations Committee is demanding greater accountability from the the Obama administration after gross inaccuracies were found on a government Web site that tracks jobs purportedly saved or created by the $787 billion stimulus plan.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The administration isn't creating phony districts. People submitting the paperwork entered the wrong district number as stated in the part of the article you quoted. Thanks for disproving your own thread title.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

So you are going to that the current Administration lied and fabricated non-existent districts, when in fact, the recipients of this job aid for writing in some arbitrary number pulled out of their head, resulting in some fake district?

I'll be blunt. You. FAIL.

Congress/the Administration isn't to blame here.

4. awmazz macrumors 65816

Is the Arizona 15th Congressional District where the $2 billion in unmarked bills sent to Iraq ended up?

Your major problem, and for all anti-Obamaists, as I see it from afar is that the venerable firm of George W & Co lowered the bar so incredibly low that nothing you can say about Obama hasn't already been perpetrated on an even larger scale already by your own people.

You've given Obama carte-blanche to feck up a thousand times and he still won't feck up as much as the Republicans did no matter how outraged you pretend to be about it.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Why in the hell is this system not internet based where it restricts bidders entries to districts that actually exist? We talk about making the system more efficient and then we implement programs in the most inefficient way possible.

The only justification I can think of would be that people are too dumb to get on the net, in which case do we really want them controlling millions in government money?

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Trust me, where there is a politicians there is a way.

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'll be more succint. From the Article:

Emphasis mine.

So tell me.. why are you blaming the Administration, when the people screwed up?

BL.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Maybe thats the reason we aren't getting many jobs for our money, people don't even care enough to look up their district, I don't think they are going to care about spending the money efficiently.

9. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

He isn't. Or, at least, awmazz wasn't.

I understand the mistakes being made the people, but why isn't there someone checking it? :confused:

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Because the right is determined to nail Obama regardless. Throw enough claims at the wall and some, they hope, will stick.

Should the reporting be better, absolutely? As Zombie Acorn pointed out, an internet-based system would work, however, I'd like to remind everyone that large-scale internet-based reporting systems don't just appear overnight, but takes years to develop and deploy.

Note, who dug up the story? Was it Fox News? No, it was ABC News, the Mainstream Media, the disciples of Obama, the liberal intelligentsia coastal latte sippers.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Get out the tinfoil! Another one who can't read and comprehend an article. :rolleyes:

It appears that someone is checking. Otherwise, we wouldn't have this article. ;)

12. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Well yeah, but I mean why isn't there someone assigned to the website that makes sure to check info? It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

How about people just enter their addresses and their district can be figured out by the site? That should be even simpler.

14. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Don't even get me started there. As a software person by trade the amount of stuff like this that goes on astounds me. There are already search features that will tell you this, incorporating it into the site would be trivial.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That seems like the best solution.

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I will say that the utter idiocies of the previous administration don't give carte blanche for this one to do anything even remotely similar; Obama's people really need to be on top of this kind of thing better. Still, your point stands. Any conservative bitching about this, when there was practically no accountability in the previous administration, has to cop to being a hypocrite.

A very good point. Although if the bidders are this sloppy, I'll bet they'll just pick anything out of a pulldown list. :rolleyes:

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Part of the reason I am starting to hate this country, if the tax payers themselves don't care enough to check their congressional district when getting "free" government money, how are we going to expect anyone else to?

This is about on par with loaning a friend money and them being too lazy to come over, so they have you drive to their house to drop it off.

18. IntheNet thread starter macrumors regular

IntheNet

One would assume that $18M spent to redesign Recovery.gov web site faulty or phony Congressional district information could be addressed before the administration uses the information to lie about jobs being created; especially since Sheriff Joe swore to Americans he was going to ride herd on this new website and careful management of stimulus funds!

And you want this joke of an administration to manage our health care?

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The administration didn't use it to lie about anything. No one on the website fabricated anything either. That's all in the article. YOU made up the conspiracy part- YOU. Please, please, please go learn reading comprehension. This is really getting old.

20. IntheNet thread starter macrumors regular

IntheNet

So if Sheriff Joe noticed... oh... something like a huge error on Revovery.gov... like... say... records for 35 Congressional districts in Washington DC, as an example … since Washington DC doesn’t have any Congressional districts at all!

Not Republicans calling Obama on this monumental screw up! Rep. David Obey, D-Wisc., "The inaccuracies on recovery.gov that have come to light are outrageous and the Administration owes itself, the Congress, and every American a commitment to work night and day to correct the ludicrous mistakes."

Go ahead... blame inherited problems.. blame George Bush, blame us, blame tea party citizens, blame anyone, but for God's sake... don't hold Biden or Obama responsible!! Lord knows they can't walk and chew gum! Course... we can't expect our Harvard-educated clown to accurately count Congressional Districts; since he claims he's visited 57 states!

21. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Hate to break the bad news to you but I don't think Obama or Biden do web development.

Blame the people that actually RUN the website not the person that came up with the idea.

An idea that Bush couldn't comprehend.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes, because Obama himself is personally entering the data into the website, this is all clearly his fault and he should be impeached and sent back to Kenya where he was born :rolleyes:

He mis-spoke. He meant to say "57 contests" in reference to the Democratic primaries, which, between the 50 states, territories such as PR, Guam, USVI and the few states that had both a primary and caucus, there were 57 contests.

Once again, you fail.

23. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2009/10/28/3437935-ap-impact-stimulus-jobs-overstated-by-thousands

25. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk