Administration tried to curb election turnout in key states

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Apr 19, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

baltimore sun

2. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Tougher voter identification laws. Imagine that! God forbid someone actually prove they are who they claim they are before they vote.

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

it's really amazing to me that anyone, even you, can take such serious allegations of gov't misuse and gross misconduct and dismiss it with an inane, pissy comment.

maybe we can talk about monica lewinski some more, huh?

4. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Approving laws that tighten voter ID requirements? Disqualifying people that don't match? Not wanting to use welfare databases to increase rolls of people that can't bother to register? Identifying where states had more registered voters than they had citizens? Yeah, sounds like a government out of control to me. :rolleyes:

5. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Someone needs to read the article again. The point is not the means they used to acheive their goal, it's the motivation that is disccusting here.

The acusation, however unproven, is that the voter registration laws were tailored specificaly to help the republican cause. I don't think anyone would disagree that the government should make sure that everyone who votes is eligible.

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

you love taking little bits of detail and pretending that's all there is. the big picture here, should you care to see it, is that the administration is disenfranchinsing voters who typically vote democratic. and they're using the normally non-partisan, beyond-reproach justice department to do it.

so go ahead and comfort yourself in your immigrant bashing, but keep in the back of your mind that this is how democracy dies. yes, it really is that serious. when we can no longer trust our system and justice and our election procedures, what do we really have left?

in this one, i suggest you actually think, and not just react.

7. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

If you're eligiable to vote, there's no problem. You pick up the form, you fill it out, you vote. Even a potentially disenfranchised liberal can figure it out. I'll be more interested in the subject when someone proves an American citizen that filled out a voter registration card that wasn't a felon was prevented from voting.

8. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

The point being that if there were, the administration would have engineered it so that they would have most likely vote Democrat while a person who should ahve gotten the same treatment but is a republican would slip through. Agian, all unproven, but the alegation is serious.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Did you actually read the article? I'm finding it hard to believe you did.

10. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Yes and I responded to it. There is no doubt that there is voter fraud and the sooner it's rooted out, the better. I don't care which party they are from.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So what is the argument here that you don't need ID to vote?

12. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

thanks for proving my point that you are unable to see the forest for the trees.

hey, if the end truly does justify the means, why don't we just do away with voting altogether? that'll solve your issue with the "widespread" fraudulent voting.

btw -- you've bought the administration's line hook and sinker. they want you to believe fraudulent voting is such a big issue because that's their cover story for the US attorney firings. it's really about those attorneys not doing enough to secure the election for the GOP. if that doesn't chill you, then we've nothing more to talk about.

13. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

no, that is not, in fact, the argument. the issue should be clear from the story and my posts. why is it not?

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ok, then you obviously had trouble comprehending it. Read it again please. Especially the part where they're selectively enforcing certain things and not others.

15. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

As a Canadian, I hesitate to comment in this forum because it is mostly about American politics. However, I agree that the article is clear about the INTENTIONS of the administration to tilt voting results in their favor. I, too, am concerned about the eroding of the political climate that I see and read about. It is easy to change computer records to suddenly not match the required information (not that I am saying anyone did that). Just my 2 cents.

16. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I hope they start enforcing them all then. Like I said earlier though, if you are a legally registered voter there's nothing to worry about. I encourage anyone that is a legally registered voter and was prevented from voting to post their story here.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Interested yet?

Didn't think so...

18. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

And you'd be correct. Keeping your voter registration current is your responsibility. I have to update mine when I move. I guess if I was an ex-felon I might expect to have to update my registration.

Somehow knowing that some ex-felons didn't vote in the last election for the most powerful job on the planet is comforting...

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Once again- did you read the article? If you had you'd see that regular folks were cheated out of voting.

20. aquajet macrumors 68020

Which ex-felons (and that term sounds funny to me) would those be, and why shouldn't they be allowed to vote?

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

What, and let facts get in the way of a perfectly good partisan rant?

22. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

The link I was commenting on referred to ex-felons that were purged. They neglected to re-register.

23. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I don't even want to explain why I don't worry about ex-felons voting. I know that there are folks here that truly believe that the only qualification for voting should be that they have been breathing for 18 years and can make an X with a crayon, so I'm not going to start down that discussion path.

I think I'll worry more about the votes of ex-pats and soldiers overseas that were disenfrancised myself. I didn't see those mentioned in the article.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

OK, I'll spoon feed you then. From that link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A99749-2001May30

Oh, but she should have checked with her sister to make sure she'd never used her name, right?

25. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Did you read beyond the first paragraph?

Yes the article mentions some felons whose voting rights were restored but it also mentions non-felons prevented from voting and the only statement about registration status is:

Hardly the voters fault there.