Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macuser75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
I have used panther on my powermac for sometime. However as of recently, for some reason, it does not recognise the administrator password.

I then go into user account option... and the adminsitrator user (me) have become "standard" account with no admistrator account there at all!.

This mean i donot have the persmission to install or edit anything since my administrator password is not recognise.

I have thought about format and reinstalling Panther from the CD but of course, it wont work since my admin password is not recognise and therefore i cannot reinstall.

Can anyone help me?

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
pop open the cd/dvd drive, pop in the CD, dont double click on it or anything
reboot the machine and while youre doing so, hold down the "c" key on your keyboard, before you see the white screen with the darkgray apple logo on it.
Just hold it down for like 10 seconds or until you see that it is booting from CD.
You dont need an administrator password to reinstall OS X :)

macuser75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
Ubergeek - Thanks for the help :) Im more of pc expert and therefore woulndt know such MAC trick

zimv20 - I havent done anything with permission or anything like that. I went to check the permission later, however, and i found that on the HDD i am only allowed to READ!!!

macuser75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
Just one more thing though...

If i reinstall Panther, will i need to reinstall all the applications (such as keynote,office etc)? Would be a pain if i have to go through all the reinstalling again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.