Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of the 2017 International Broadcasting Convention set to take place on September 14, Adobe has shared details on a series of updates to its video and sound editing software that will be announced at the event. Adobe's fall Creative Cloud updates will focus on Premiere Pro, After Effects, Character Animator, and Audition, introducing new tools for VR, animations, and audio.

Premiere Pro CC, Adobe's video editing software aimed at professionals, features collaboration tools that let users work on multiple open projects simultaneously. Using a tab-based structure, Premiere Pro CC eliminates the need to open and close multiple timelines and allows for copying parts of one project into another with just a few clicks.

premierepromultipleprojects-800x432.jpg

There's also a feature for locking a project to prevent edits from being overwritten while also leaving read-only access available, and there are new tools for viewing personal auto-save history, bringing an asset from a previous auto-save to the current version, and creating a new Team Project from an auto-save.

The Essential Graphics panel in Premiere Pro has been updated with time and position-based controls for building Responsive Design into motion graphics, there's a new feature for selecting and manipulating multiple graphic layers at the same time, and there are Motion Graphics templates included in Adobe Stock.

premiereproresponsivedesign-800x500.jpg

Other new features in Premiere Pro include an updated startup experience that walks users through the editing process, new color labels, and automatic gap removal to make editing the timeline faster and more streamlined.

After Effects CC, Adobe's pro-level app for creating motion graphics and visual effects, includes new Data Driven Animations that use JSON data to create charts and graphs, and expressions for path points on masks, shape layers, and paint brush strokes. Improvements have been made to performance when rendering layer transforms, motion blur, and other effects on the GPU, there's a font menu with live previews, and Adobe has added a new visual map for mapping keyboard shortcuts.

aftereffectsdatadrivengraphics-800x481.jpg

Both After Effects and Premiere Pro feature an immersive display, letting editors experience the content they're editing while wearing VR headsets like the Oculus Rift or the HTC Vive. There are also new orientation-based audio editing tools, new immersive video transitions, and new effects like VR Blur, VR Glow, VR Sharpen, VR De-Noise, and VR Chromatic Aberration.

Adobe Character Animator CC features a new Controls panel for posing and animating characters, a Triggers & Behavior panel, auto stapling for limbs, eye and eyebrow improvements for more expressive looks, and several new behaviors including Layer Picker, Collisions, and Fader. Visual representations of audio waveforms and integration with Adobe Audition have been added, and there are improvements to lip syncing and walk behaviors.

characteranimator-800x481.jpg

As for Audition CC, Adobe's professional audio editing app, there are editing and performance enhancements, auto-ducking in the Essential Sound panel, smart input monitoring, a new Timecode overlay display, and more.

auditionautoducking-800x310.jpg

Adobe plans to make all of these features available to its Creative Cloud users later this year. Creative Cloud plans are available from Adobe.com and start at $50 per month for an individual plan.

Article Link: Adobe Announces Updates for Premiere Pro, After Effects, Character Animator and Audition

djbuddha

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2011
I'll take premiere everyday, all day over FCP.
Too many library corruptions from fellow editors losing entire projects
Media encoder is fast enough imho, though the lack of Prores on win machines is a definite minus

Been on FCP all the way through as my full time editor since 2011 and am on the latest version. Never lost a project due to software. It's literally how you manage your timelines which makes or breaks you. All software can have that problem. Sometimes it's the user. The projects I did lose were based on my carelessness.

Reactions: genshi and needfx

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Been on FCP all the way through as my full time editor since 2011 and am on the latest version. Never lost a project due to software. It's literally how you manage your timelines which makes or breaks you. All software can have that problem. Sometimes it's the user. The projects I did lose were based on my carelessness.

I can attest that I've never had a corrupt premiere file since 1999, when I first started using it :/
Sounds like a hassle having to manage a timeline in order for the library not to get corrupted, though I definitely do not negate the fact that all software can reach that point.

Reactions: djbuddha

djbuddha

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2011
I can attest that I've never had a corrupt premiere file since 1999, when I first started using it :/
Sounds like a hassle having to manage a timeline in order for the library not to get corrupted, though I definitely do not negate the fact that all software can reach that point.

It's not as much management as much as it's keeping organized throughout your workflow. But that can be said of any creative app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.