Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Adobe Launches Premiere and Photoshop Elements 2021

AngerDanger

macrumors 601
Dec 9, 2008
on a serious note the Face Tilt is strange.

Isn't it? Especially in the example they provide where the kid is already tilted towards the camera. It just looks like it rotated his head similarly to his body.

Comment

DevNull0

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2015
Ironically, thanks to Apple, I'm going to be buying the windows version of this.

I've been running CS6 since my 2011 MBP, and I still have a Sierra install on an external USB-C SSD so I can run it on my current mac. With Apple's abandonment of intel, even that kludge isn't going to work going forward. I will never buy into photo SaaS, so my only option going forward is going to be Elements. And since it's Apple who's screwing over my whole workflow so they can sell cheap CPU's at premium prices, I won't be following them into arm-land.

Comment

dsburdette

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2010
Alpharetta, GA
Affinity Products all day long (Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Affinity Publisher). Dumped Adobe products well over a year ago and only use Illustrator and InDesign (CS5) to open old AI files if needed or to convert an INDD to IDML. All three products cost me a total of about $100 when they were all on sale. Even bought a PC license for all three for $79 when they had their pandemic sale earlier this summer – just in case I ever found myself using a PC someday in the future.
I'm sceptic about that since version 2.0 will not be a free update.
Yea, I suspect the same but to procure the initial license at such a reduced cost and then only have to pay an upgrade price at a later date would be fine with me. Regardless, a small gamble to pay.

Comment

Maconplasma

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2020
Once was using iMovie and now have upgraded to FCPX. Pixelmator does everything I need and much more. No can do Adobe, plus how can anyone trust that DOG Premiere? Sure it's created for multi-platform but unless you need it for corporate use in mixed Mac/PC environments I would rather stick with Apple's software.

Comment

lazyrighteye

macrumors 68020
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I've taken a crap-ton of photos and never once wished for a face to be tilted. Seems an odd "feature."
In the sample images shown, the face was tilted but not the hair?
I feel old.

Comment

Janichsan

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2006
I'm sceptic about that since version 2.0 will not be a free update.
Whenever that will be. I bought Affinity Designer back in 2014, and haven't paid for an update in all these years.

When Affinity 2.0 will be released, I got more than my money's worth and will happily pay for the update.

Comment

Altivec88

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2016
Honestly, the $9.99 photography bundle is a solid deal. I still loathe the idea of renting software, but $120/year for both Lightroom and a full version of Photoshop is pretty good.

I have no problem with the $120/year. I have a big problem with the entrapment. So you rent this software for many years and entrench yourself with all your time and work. You stop paying for any reason (want to use something else, retire, work pause) and boom, you can no longer open your files. If they would at least let you keep the last version of the software like some other companies allow, I would have no problem with it. As it stands, there is no way in hell, I will get Adobe anything until a perpetual option is available. Just to be clear "Elements" is perpetual, but we require illustrator, indesign, and full photoshop. Right now we are using the Affinity suite, which is great, but lacking a lot of important features, but we will choose that rather than lose all our work when we stop paying.

Comment

xmlninja

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2010
Adobe needs to sort out their premier product portfolio. Premier pro, premier elements and premier rush is one premier toooo much. I just want to create videos.

Comment

BobMcBob

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2004
I bought Adobe products since the mid 1990s, and have switched to Affinity Photo and Designer because Adobe priced me out. Elements isn't powerful enough for me. I was very surprised how good Affinity software is. It does everything I need and is a very reasonable price without a subscription. Adobe is so stupid for giving a competitor an opening like that. They are giving away their business.

Comment

Altivec88

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2016
Their applications are such a bargain, especially since they work across Mac, Windows, and iPadOS.

Besides, the company has been around since the Atari ST/Amiga days.

Lol... What an odd broad statement. First off, how long they have been in business has no baring on them being a "bargain" or not. It being a "bargain" is all dependant on if you use the few extra features Adobe does have over its much lower priced competitors. If you use those features a lot and can make your money back from the difference, then its a bargain. If you don't, and are able to use other software that is a mere fraction the price, then "bargain" turns into rip off.

Comment

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Lol... What an odd broad statement. First off, how long they have been in business has no baring on them being a "bargain" or not. It being a "bargain" is all dependant on if you use the few extra features Adobe does have over its much lower priced competitors. If you use those features a lot and can make your money back from the difference, then its a bargain. If you don't, and are able to use other software that is a mere fraction the price, then "bargain" turns into rip off.

Where did you change my wording to come up with that?

Comment

Altivec88

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2016
Where did you change my wording to come up with that?

"Their applications are such a bargain, especially since they work across Mac, Windows, and iPadOS
Besides, the company has been around since the Atari ST/Amiga days."

I did not change any wording. Maybe I am misinterpreting what you are saying but my understanding of the above statement is that you are saying they are a bargain. No?

Reactions: BornAgainMac
Comment

ian87w

macrumors 68000
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The boxes look nice, but every time I tried the trial version of previous versions, the UI feels like a Windows program from the 90s. It’s actually confusing to me. Wonder if they have done anything about the clunky aging interface.

Comment

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Always good to see Adobe updating its software. Wish Photoshop Elements were more powerful for professional photographers though. Don't like the Adobe Subscription Model that is required to get the full Photoshop.

What does Elements lack that you need? This is a real question. I'm curious. I've looked and I think what's missing from elements are things a graphic artist might want. Elements has layers and adjustment layers, quite a lot of color correction. But I don't know all of what is in PS anymore having not used it in years.

I plan on downloading the tail version of PSE tonight. Adobe keeps adding features to PSE.

Comment

sdragon

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2008
I checked Apple's App store and they still have the old 2020 version.

2020 was not immediately available in the App Store either. Not sure what the delay is.

What does Elements lack that you need?

One thing that popped out at a quick test was a lack was CMYK support. Sometimes that's much better for working accurately with photos.

Last edited:
Comment

Janichsan

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2006
I'm getting the feeling you misunderstood @bousozoku: the "bargain" in this context are Affinity's offerings, not Adobe's.

Does Elements have "content-aware" fill?
Yes.

Last edited:
Comment

amartinez1660

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2014
Affinity Products all day long (Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Affinity Publisher). Dumped Adobe products well over a year ago and only use Illustrator and InDesign (CS5) to open old AI files if needed or to convert an INDD to IDML. All three products cost me a total of about $100 when they were all on sale. Even bought a PC license for all three for $79 when they had their pandemic sale earlier this summer – just in case I ever found myself using a PC someday in the future.
I agree partly with this sentiment. I myself bought Photo and Designer iPadOS ones (great prices) and then recently the Mac versions of them both. At first glance they are amazing, A LOT snappier and some UX things are better... however the few times I have tried to use it I find myself having a lot of friction regarding shortcuts, layers, effects, etc.

For example, just basic ‘fill’ of a layer via shortcuts: alt backspace (forecolor fill), ctrl backspace (backcolor fill) or a combination of modifiers thereof don’t do anything.
I can add a ‘Fill Layer’, but still have to get used to where the settings are. I guess it’s going to be a similar case for Gradient Fills and others.
The front/back colors swatch seemed to be hidden on a right panel there, tried clicking D and X to reset to black and white and swap foreground<->background colors to no avail (I think, would have to try again).

Anyways, all of this to say, did you or anybody here have found it a bit difficult at the beginning? I kinda wonder why they would deviate so far in some things from industry standard UX/UI/Default-Shorcuts etc... unless Photoshop is actually not that industry standard and this is actually how Corel or something else works by default.

Nevertheless, giving this a chance, Photoshop has boiled my blood to no end with utterly annoying things like saving an existing PSD as PNG, when the .PNG file already exists a prompt will appear to confirm the ‘Replace’, Tap on replace, go to where the PNG file got saved... it will be on a new png file with ‘copy’ appended to it. This has been going since early 2019, they have been collecting subscription money since 2019 of potentially millions of users and TODAY a basic saving function like replace an already existing file does not work. This makes me feel hate... and I don’t want to pay to feel hate.

Comment

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I need something that's going to handle Variable Framerate video from an iPhone 11 Pro (or any mobile phone, really) well; will this new Adobe offering deal with that better than iMovie does?

Comment

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2014
I agree partly with this sentiment. I myself bought Photo and Designer iPadOS ones (great prices) and then recently the Mac versions of them both. At first glance they are amazing, A LOT snappier and some UX things are better... however the few times I have tried to use it I find myself having a lot of friction regarding shortcuts, layers, effects, etc.

For example, just basic ‘fill’ of a layer via shortcuts: alt backspace (forecolor fill), ctrl backspace (backcolor fill) or a combination of modifiers thereof don’t do anything.
I can add a ‘Fill Layer’, but still have to get used to where the settings are. I guess it’s going to be a similar case for Gradient Fills and others.
The front/back colors swatch seemed to be hidden on a right panel there, tried clicking D and X to reset to black and white and swap foreground<->background colors to no avail (I think, would have to try again).

Anyways, all of this to say, did you or anybody here have found it a bit difficult at the beginning? I kinda wonder why they would deviate so far in some things from industry standard UX/UI/Default-Shorcuts etc... unless Photoshop is actually not that industry standard and this is actually how Corel or something else works by default.

Nevertheless, giving this a chance, Photoshop has boiled my blood to no end with utterly annoying things like saving an existing PSD as PNG, when the .PNG file already exists a prompt will appear to confirm the ‘Replace’, Tap on replace, go to where the PNG file got saved... it will be on a new png file with ‘copy’ appended to it. This has been going since early 2019, they have been collecting subscription money since 2019 of potentially millions of users and TODAY a basic saving function like replace an already existing file does not work. This makes me feel hate... and I don’t want to pay to feel hate.

I changed several shortcuts to fit my habits e.g. to Shift-F5 to fill in Affinity Photo. As I use a german keyboard I also changed move forward/backward and increase/decrease brush size in Adobe PsIluInD and therefore in Affinity Suite.

I found that a lot of things are so naturally easier that I sometimes didn’t even notice it until I had to do the same thing in old Adobe. That makes up for the effort to get used to a new way of working.
And of course the freedom to open my own work even when I haven’t payed Affinity a dime this month.

Reactions: amartinez1660
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.